Patent numbers gone...

• 5 Replies

Offline sveto

• View Profile
Patent numbers gone...
« on: March 23, 2021, 04:34:12 PM »
I wonder why DiMarzio removed the patent numbers from their website? It was a perfect technical resource, so that i could always see what pickups have Dual Resonance, VV or Airbucker Design, and have a ballpark idea if they will work with my rig.

Does anyone know where i could find this detailed technical information these days? For instance i would love to know what patent numbers the Dreamcatcher and Rainmaker have... I tried in the DiMarzio catalogue PDF, but it's omitted there as well.

Offline darkbluemurder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Patent numbers gone...
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2021, 04:07:20 AM »
Indeed it is no longer published. For older designs you can still get the information from older catalogs. As to why - I guess they don't want to freely give away their intellectual property, which would be absolutely legitimate.

Cheers Stephan
Area 67, Area 58, Area 61, VV Pro 54, Injectors, VV HB2, Virtual Solo, SDS-1, Area T, Area Hot T, Area T 615, Virtual Hot T, Chopper T, Bluesbucker, Breed set, Air Norton, Super Distortion, DLX+, DLX-90, DP240, DP198, DP168, VHPAF, AT-1, Norton

Offline sveto

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2021, 04:09:59 PM »
freely give away their intellectual property

They never did that, so i don't understand what you mean. If someone wants to steal their property they would open up a pickup and copy it.

A normal user just wants to know how a pickup will sound. I know that Dual Resonance will give me more harmonics, but can sound buzzier than a non-Dual Resonance humbucker. I know that an Airbucker will have a subdued attack feel (i hate that), but you don't hear it when you listen to a recording. And so on.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2021, 09:19:55 PM by sveto »

Offline darkbluemurder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2021, 04:28:31 AM »
freely give away their intellectual property

They never did that, so i don't understand what you mean. If someone wants to steal their property they would open up a pickup and copy it.

A normal user just wants to know how a pickup will sound. I know that Dual Resonance will give me more harmonics, but can sound buzzier than a non-Dual Resonance humbucker. I know that an Airbucker will have a subdued attack feel (i hate that), but you don't hear it when you listen to a recording. And so on.

That's correct - a "normal" user would certainly not dissect a pickup as (a) that would destroy it and (b) such user would not be able to make any use of the findings anyway. What I meant was that sometimes even a bit of information allows the competition to draw clues as to what they are doing, so I can understand why they would not give away such clues.

Yet I agree with you that offering the patent numbers (or even include the technology in the description) would help the user to choose a pickup - for the exact reasons you stated.

Cheers Stephan
Area 67, Area 58, Area 61, VV Pro 54, Injectors, VV HB2, Virtual Solo, SDS-1, Area T, Area Hot T, Area T 615, Virtual Hot T, Chopper T, Bluesbucker, Breed set, Air Norton, Super Distortion, DLX+, DLX-90, DP240, DP198, DP168, VHPAF, AT-1, Norton

Offline RayBarbeeMusic

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2021, 03:38:29 PM »
Might be the patents have expired as well.

Offline HeyNorton!

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2021, 10:11:57 PM »
Google dimarzio patents or patent numbers.

Look up said numbers

Read all about the technology behind them. There are even diagrams!

Seriously though, I don't there is anything sinister going on there.