my experience with two Dimarzios and maybe advice

• 6 Replies

Offline Jerryman

• View Profile
my experience with two Dimarzios and maybe advice
« on: November 16, 2020, 10:17:43 PM »
Just getting back into serious playing , and I have two Floyded Jacksons, one is a FGlame DK2 , and one an old Performer.
In the Performer I have a Transition set. In the Flame DK2 I have a PAF Master. Well, this is mostly regarding bridge position on both.
First off, I play with a lot of controlled, or at least attempted controlled sustained feedback. On the Flame DK2, with the PAF Master, the feedback is absolutely glorious.
ON the PS4 Performer, the feedback is very muted. ( worth mentioning neither gets vaery good feedback above the 12th fret).
Both guitars have very good treble bite, and I am pleased with that. However the PAF Master bridge, as nice as it is, lacks a certain weight that the Transition set has.
I guess what I'm driving at is that is there a Dimarzio that has the weight of the Transitions and also the sweet mid focused feedback of the PAF Master, or is it a case of you can't have your cake and eat it too? IDK. Thank\s, nice to see you all again here.
The Norton won't tame anything.  A fantastic pickup, it will make your LP sound like a wild mongoose who is piloting a F-22 raptor and smoking crystal meth

Offline darkbluemurder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: my experience with two Dimarzios and maybe advice
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2020, 02:28:17 AM »
It sounds like you want something close to a PAF tone but with more output. In the DiMarzio line up that is probably the Norton.
Unfortunately I do not have a direct comparison as I never played the Transition or the PAF Master.

Cheers Stephan
Area 67, Area 58, Area 61, VV Pro 54, Injectors, VV HB2, Virtual Solo, SDS-1, Area T, Area Hot T, Area T 615, Virtual Hot T, Chopper T, Bluesbucker, Breed set, Air Norton, Super Distortion, DLX+ set, DLX-90, DP240, DP198, DP168, VPAF b, AT-1, Mo' Joe, FRED, Super 2; GS b

Offline HarlowTheFish

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2020, 07:22:57 AM »
You might try unpotting the Transition a bit with a heat gun, but that's a bit finicky and it might kill the pickup if you're not careful. Less potting generally helps with getting feedback easier.

BluesJam

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2020, 07:02:28 PM »
That's probably waste of time.  You cannot undue that wax, it's too deep in the coil and it's a great protector for the winds.

More gain + volume + proximity to the amp will get you feedback.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2021, 04:24:36 PM by buddroyce »

Offline greenlion

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2020, 08:57:08 PM »
I agree with darkbluemurder. Sounds like you need the Norton.. or a Fred.

Offline Pablo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2020, 07:28:43 AM »
I really like the Norton, but it does have somewhat of a particular mid hump that you have to dig, for it to work for you. Don’t get me wrong, it’s not like the JB, but it has a bit of that same characteristic.
For a hotter PAF-y character, I would suggest the Breed Neck in the bridge. It is my, quite simply, my favourite bridge PU. To me it has enough mids to cut without getting honky, enough bass to add weight, without getting flubby and enough highs to sparkle without getting piercing. Add to that an output that is just a bit higher than a 36th Anniversary and you have an extremely flexible bridge PU that will work great in most settings.

Cheers

Eske
« Last Edit: November 30, 2020, 07:43:54 AM by Pablo »

Offline Guitar74

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2020, 11:28:45 AM »
I agree with the Norton or the Fred. I think what you are experiencing is the different resonant peaks of two different pickups. Both the Fred and the Norton really pick up with upper harmonics well. I don't think you could go wrong with either one.
If you're having one of those days where everyone is on your case and is just getting on your nerves, it's probably not everyone else