Recent Posts

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]
The Pickup Place / Re: New Tone Charts!?!
« Last post by RayBarbeeMusic on June 15, 2022, 09:53:50 PM »
I also noticed that the relative B/M/T vs. B/LM/HM/T charts changed significantly for some pickups, in particular the Bluesbucker. Under the old system it was like 4.5/5/6 and therefore one of the tightest and brightest humbuckers in the line up.

Under the new system, the Air Classics, the PAF Masters, the PAF Pro and the PAF Joe are all suddenly tighter and brighter than the Bluesbucker. What happened?

Yeah I can't say I agree with the new numbers in a relative way.  They did have trebles that went to 9 before though (Area 67, EJ).  The new numbers strike me as a bit off from pickup to pickup. 
« Last post by mmmguitar on June 15, 2022, 06:21:27 PM »
Under the new system, the Air Classics, the PAF Masters, the PAF Pro and the PAF Joe are all suddenly tighter and brighter than the Bluesbucker. What happened?

Marketing happened.
« Last post by darkbluemurder on June 13, 2022, 11:56:58 AM »
I also noticed that the relative B/M/T vs. B/LM/HM/T charts changed significantly for some pickups, in particular the Bluesbucker. Under the old system it was like 4.5/5/6 and therefore one of the tightest and brightest humbuckers in the line up.

« Last post by darkbluemurder on June 13, 2022, 04:10:10 AM »
Yeah. It also seems that the ranges are wider than before. Whereas under the old numbers most pickups fell between 4.5 and 6 in treble, the range now seems to be between 3 and 9. In some cases they even go to 10 and 1.5, which was never the case with the old numbering system.
The Pickup Place / New Tone Charts!?!
« Last post by RayBarbeeMusic on June 12, 2022, 03:18:17 AM »
Anyone noticed Dimazio now has new charts with mids broken into "low mid" and "High Mid"? Also, the other numbers are totally different than the new numbers. 
The Pickup Place / Re: HSS Pickup combination
« Last post by RayBarbeeMusic on June 10, 2022, 03:36:17 PM »
HSS my current favorite is a PAF Master bridge with a couple 67s or a 58 and 67.  500k pots.  The Master blends better with the singles than the 36th I think because it's a little brighter, a little tighter, and less "agressive/rock" sounding.  I always split in position 2 so that the bridge side coil on the Master is in parallel with the middle split Area.  You'll need a reverse polarity Area or just reverse the magnet in the Master if you want to do that, but it' worth it.
The Pickup Place / Re: Unpotted DiMarzio Pickups
« Last post by RayBarbeeMusic on June 10, 2022, 03:06:38 PM »
Only unpotted DiMarzio is the '59 PAF.  Don't think ordering unpotted is even an option on anything else.
High end of the Fred always struck me as close to a single coil in the bridge, very strident. Maybe it needs 250k pots; it's harsh with 500s.
The Pickup Place / Re: Any chance of a stickied DiMarzio Mods post?
« Last post by darkbluemurder on June 09, 2022, 08:50:13 AM »
I agree - I temporarily exchanged the screws in a Bluesbucker with hex screws and did not notice much of a change.
The main reason for the 250k volume pot was due to the Area 67 and Area 61 pickups.

For once I had a pickguard with two injector necks and an Norton in that guitar. With that combination I used 500k for the volume pot but I did not like the injectors with 500k better than the Area 67/61 with 250k so I put the other pickguard back in.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]