Recent Posts

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10
The Pickup Place / Re: Al Dimeola Bridge
« Last post by mmmguitar on October 20, 2022, 02:12:36 PM »
Hey mmmguitar, would you mind elaborating a little more about the Air Norton in the bridge vs. Al DiMeola bridge?

If you want more aggressive mids, I’d suggest de-airing or going full Norton like you were thinking. The ADM is voiced differently from the AN; and my endorsement was to do with feeling the ADM was a better fit for a particular guitar (a Strandberg) than the AN was. The AN emphasized the mids in a way that I enjoyed in other guitars, but didn’t fit so well in that one. The ADM smoothed it out and added body in a way I preferred.

In my meager opinion, I rate ADM bridge>Breed neck>Air Zone>Tone Zone as similarly voiced pickups from lowest output to hottest, according to one’s needs (e.g., if you want more output out of a PAF Pro, try the Breed Neck. If you want a warmer vintage-output PAF but don’t want to get into hotrod territory in terms of output, the ADM may be worth trying backed off from the strings a bit. Etc.).
The Pickup Place / Re: Al Dimeola Bridge
« Last post by headcrash on October 20, 2022, 11:17:06 AM »
The more I play this, the more I like it.  The extra tightness on the wound strings vs. a 36th and the way artificial harmonics just jump out are great.  No idea why it's discontinued, IMO it's one of their best pickups for sure.  Not thin in the bridge like a PAF Pro can be, not as middy as a Breed Neck in the bridge can be, a little more interesting harmonically than a Mo
Joe.  Really, really cool member of their PAF family.   Also, when split, the split coil sound is more robust than a 36th. 

That’s been my experience, as well. I put the DiMeola bridge in a guitar to replace an Air Norton and loved it, tried the Breed neck in another guitar and only liked it, then put a tweaked DiMeola (nickel covered, with a row of fillisters) in the next guitar and found I still prefer it to the Breed. I can see where Larry’s coming from when he said “that’s the most misunderstood pickup we ever made.”

Hey mmmguitar, would you mind elaborating a little more about the Air Norton in the bridge vs. Al DiMeola bridge?

I am a huge fan of my EBMM Axis (Super) Sport guitars and their bridge humbucker. In fact it's been years since I have played anything other than this bridge humbucker  ;D
But for the fun of it I feel the urge to experiment a little with lower output pickups.
I put an AN in the bridge of one of my Sports, and find I'm liking it quite a bit, but also think it lacks some aggressiveness in the upper mids (also thought about half de-airing it...).
So I am curious, what the Al DiMeola would make different.

Thank you!
The Pickup Place / Re: Wiring stacked hum as a single coil
« Last post by darkbluemurder on October 17, 2022, 03:51:53 AM »
This should be correct. If you reverse black and red, you change the polarity of the pickup which may be necessary if it is out of phase when used with another pickup.

Cheers Stephan
The Pickup Place / Re: Wiring schematics and stuff
« Last post by darkbluemurder on October 17, 2022, 03:49:02 AM »
That should be correct. If you only get a very weak signal, try green and white instead of red and black.
The Pickup Place / Re: Wiring stacked hum as a single coil
« Last post by kefka84 on October 13, 2022, 12:38:45 PM »
Hello,
I would like to wire a HS3 like a true single coil, like Yngwie permanently, without mini-switch.

Could you please tell me if this is correct?

red > 3 way switch (hot)
black > volume pot (ground)
bare wire > volume pot (ground)
white > not connected, taped alone.
green > not connected, taped alone.

I'm not sure about the red and black, because on this diagram they are reversed.
https://d2emr0qhzqfj88.cloudfront.net/s3fs-public/diagrams/WDGM1_PAFPro_GreenMeanie_HSH_0.pdf
The Pickup Place / Re: The Tone Zone BEST height ? (For once and for all)
« Last post by kefka84 on October 13, 2022, 12:05:49 PM »
Thanks for your answers guys  ;)
here is what works for me :

First, the pole pieces setting :

E : +1,5mm
B : +0,5mm
G : -0,5mm
D : +1,5mm
A : +0,5mm
E : -0,5mm

Space between the pole piece and the string fretted to the 24th fret :
High E : 1,5mm
Low E : 3,5mm

With this setting, the humbucker should be parallel to the body/pickguard.

Voilà!  :D

BONUS :
Millimeters to inches conversion table  :madness:
1 mm = 3/64
2 mm = 5/64
3 mm =1/8
4 mm = 5/32
The Pickup Place / Re: Wiring schematics and stuff
« Last post by kefka84 on October 13, 2022, 08:11:46 AM »
Hello,
I would like to wire a HS3 like a true single coil, permanently, without mini-switch.

Could you please tell me if this is correct?

red > 3 way switch (hot)
black > volume pot (ground)
bare wire > volume pot (ground)
white > not connected, taped alone.
green > not connected, taped alone.

I'm not sure about the red and black, because on this diagram they are reversed.
https://d2emr0qhzqfj88.cloudfront.net/s3fs-public/diagrams/WDGM1_PAFPro_GreenMeanie_HSH_0.pdf

Thanks!  :D
« Last post by darkbluemurder on October 05, 2022, 04:35:09 AM »
Raising the polepieces will give a softer rounder attack and a bit more airiness.

Yes, because you will more likely than not have to lower the pickup a bit so the string still clears the raised polepieces.

Lowering them will give a harder attack and more presence.

I agree because the entire pickup can be put closer to the strings.

I had a Tone Zone which I used in the bridge spot of three different guitars. The first one was a double cut junior type - there it was ok but rather bland. The second one was a gold top Les Paul - there it was outright buzzy and ugly. The third was my Brian Moore, which is light and very bright - there it sounded good. I did not make a lot of adjustments in any of the guitars but the ones I did did not make a day and night difference.

Cheers Stephan
« Last post by greenlion on October 02, 2022, 10:11:19 AM »
There is an exact and perfect height for the Tone Zone, but I am afraid those details are only available to those in the Inner Sanctum. Until you have earned your place in the secret society, you will have to make do with setting yours at 4/64ths on the treble and bass side and adjust to taste from there. Raising the polepieces will give a softer rounder attack and a bit more airiness. Lowering them will give a harder attack and more presence. Don't tell anyone I told you that last part.
The Pickup Place / Re: Tone Zone Air Norton combo
« Last post by aizenx on October 01, 2022, 11:42:42 AM »
Many woods are marketed as "mahogany" but they are not the same species. You will find

- Swietennia macrophylla, which is equivalent to the original Honduras mahogany
- Khaya ivoriensis, which comes from Africa and looks similar to mahogany
- I think there is also an Asian variant but I forgot how it is called

Even among the same species the wood varies wildly. As a result, it is almost impossible to say "mahogany sounds like ...".

Cheers Stephan

Well said!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10