Recent Posts

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10
The Pickup Place / Re: Mellowing out Air Norton neck in Charvel So-Cal?
« Last post by Speeddemon on November 01, 2022, 08:58:14 AM »
Thanks man, I'll try the 1 MOhm resistor, see how that flies.  :D
The Pickup Place / Re: Looking for a bridge pickup
« Last post by Speeddemon on November 01, 2022, 08:57:27 AM »
Have you considered the AT-1?

I have experience with the Custom 5 myself and I agree it's a slightly more balanced and even bigger sounding version of the JB. Now, in a lot of cases I find the Norton to be DiMarzio's 'improved JB', although a Norton has leaner and tighter lows, but like the JB, harmonics jump from it.
And the AT-1 builds on that; bigger lows, still medium/high output, good harmonics, just more balanced/easy sounding, without becoming dull. I don't agree with the 'Treble 3.5' rating on the Dimarzio website. Treble is less than the Norton, sure, but not 1.5 points.
Either way, if the guitar can use some added body and warmth (like what a Custom 5 gives), the AT-1 will do this too.
And just like the Norton (and to a lesser extent the Custom 5), it splits beautifully as well.
The Pickup Place / Re: New Tone Charts!?!
« Last post by Speeddemon on November 01, 2022, 07:02:13 AM »
That is interesting. I was considering purchasing a Humbucker from Hell to replace the Air Norton neck, but I discarded it after I saw these charts because they indicate that has little bass at all and too much treble. On the opposite extreme of what I want to achieve.
What were you looking for out of that replacement then?
If you want a bigger sound than the Air Norton, that still has a good high-end for a neck pickup, may I suggest the Breed Neck?

In my Charvel So-Cal I found it too jangly, but since switching it to a Gibson Flying V '67  RI, it's damn perfect.
Makes the guitar sound bigger (closer to a Les Paul), without muddyness, which is what I was going for. And since it's all mahogany and ebony FB, the highs are sweet and not strident.
The Pickup Place / Re: Mellowing out Air Norton neck in Charvel So-Cal?
« Last post by darkbluemurder on November 01, 2022, 05:14:47 AM »
The Air Norton is already very smooth in the neck. If it is not smooth enough, there are the following options:

- use a cap and resistor in series to simulate the non-existing tone pot. The downside is that this will affect the bridge pickup as well.
- put a 1 meg resistor from the switch terminal where the neck pickup is connected to ground. This will let the neck pickup and the both pickup selections "see" a 330k load but leave the bridge pickup at 500k.

Both easy to try and easy to reverse if you don't like it.

Good luck,
Stephan

The Pickup Place / Mellowing out Air Norton neck in Charvel So-Cal?
« Last post by Speeddemon on October 31, 2022, 01:08:08 PM »
So the Air Norton is one of my favourite neck pickups; it's in an Ibanez S540FM, in a Burny Les Paul Standard and in a 2010 MIJ Charvel So-Cal Pro Mod.

And while I love its split-tones, in the Charvel I've come to find it too 'plingy' and bright in the top end when playing distorted leads (in a Maiden tribute, where it's my "Adrian Smith" guitar).
The guitar has an alder body, maple neck, maple fretboard, Floyd Rose with an FU big brass block and a DiMarzio Norton in the bridge. 1x 500k push/pull volume, no tone pot.
Originally it came with an Evo neck and ToneZone bridge, but I went through numerous pickup changes to come to the Air Norton/Norton combo.

Is there a way to mellow out/thicken the Air Norton (even if it means slightly mellowing/thickening) without lowering the output? So I'm not looking to lower the pickup height.

Would a 300k pot help here?
The Pickup Place / Re: Options to replace Air Norton neck on mahogany J.Custom?
« Last post by Speeddemon on October 31, 2022, 12:58:52 PM »
No problem  :) If the Gravity Storm it is not what I want for that guitar, I can use it on a S540FM. And I may also try the Air Norton at the bridge of that S540FM

I actually have the Air Norton in the neck of my S540FM and love it there. Has a ToneZone in the bridge. Very balanced guitar. That TZ came out of a Charvel So-Cal where I found it a bit too boomy/muddy in the lows.
The Pickup Place / Re: Tone Zone Air Norton combo
« Last post by jim777 on October 27, 2022, 11:34:52 AM »
I have the TZ/BV/AN combo in an alder bodied/maple-rosewood necked  Ibanez 2750Q I just got, and I don't think they sound bad exactly, but I don't find it a versatile set. I'm likel going to put a PAF Joe in the neck and still deciding on a new bridge pickup. I love the look of the silver/blue UtoPIA pickups but they aren't terribly versatile either. That said, regarding versatility, both sets can absolutely sound good, but if you're doing cover band stuff you need a wide array of sounds and I don't think either set fits that bill.
The Pickup Place / Re: Al Dimeola Bridge
« Last post by headcrash on October 21, 2022, 04:03:21 PM »
So, as far as the ADM is concerned, would you say it's overall feel is warmer in the hi-mids than the AN ?

In my experience, yes. Have you tried the 36 bridge or Fortitude? As far as other offerings go, those may be more in the direction you’re describing; whereas the ADM is the opposite: A great pickup, but not aggressive in the mids in the way the Nortons or others are.

I had a 36th bridge a few years ago and remember not liking it. I think it lacked bass and low mids.
Fortitude shouldn't be too different.
I might give both a try one time.
Also I wait to get a good deal on a Bluesbucker as a companion to the AN to the neck position. Then I can take it to band practice and just work with it and see how it'll work for me.
« Last post by mmmguitar on October 20, 2022, 07:33:00 PM »
So, as far as the ADM is concerned, would you say it's overall feel is warmer in the hi-mids than the AN ?

In my experience, yes. Have you tried the 36 bridge or Fortitude? As far as other offerings go, those may be more in the direction you’re describing; whereas the ADM is the opposite: A great pickup, but not aggressive in the mids in the way the Nortons or others are.
« Last post by headcrash on October 20, 2022, 05:22:19 PM »
Hey mmmguitar, would you mind elaborating a little more about the Air Norton in the bridge vs. Al DiMeola bridge?

If you want more aggressive mids, I’d suggest de-airing or going full Norton like you were thinking. The ADM is voiced differently from the AN; and my endorsement was to do with feeling the ADM was a better fit for a particular guitar (a Strandberg) than the AN was. The AN emphasized the mids in a way that I enjoyed in other guitars, but didn’t fit so well in that one. The ADM smoothed it out and added body in a way I preferred.

In my meager opinion, I rate ADM bridge>Breed neck>Air Zone>Tone Zone as similarly voiced pickups from lowest output to hottest, according to one’s needs (e.g., if you want more output out of a PAF Pro, try the Breed Neck. If you want a warmer vintage-output PAF but don’t want to get into hotrod territory in terms of output, the ADM may be worth trying backed off from the strings a bit. Etc.).

As far as de-airing goes, I may try and first go the half-air way, since it's merely a nuance in the high-mids, that I think I miss.

I had a Norton in a very similar guitar (a EBMM Albert Lee) and remember it being too far away from the Custom DiMarzio in my (Super) Sports.
Plus, I like, that the AN is significantly quieter. Whereas the Norton is in EBMM Custom Dimarzio territory.
For example, with my SLO Clone increase the lead channel's gain from 3-ish (EBMM DiMarzio) to 4..4.5-ish (AN) to achieve similar gain levels.
Also I like the AN's punch or push, actually I was expecting it to be more "spongy" or saggy, which was my experience with the AT-1, compared to the Custom Dimarzio. With the AT-1 I thought it's the Airbucker technology.
As I am writing this, it might be, that for me the AN could just have a little more bite or presence.

So, as far as the ADM is concerned, would you say it's overall feel is warmer in the hi-mids than the AN ? Which would lead me to the conclusion, that the ADM might be the wrong pickup for me.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10