EMG's VS. trad single coils?

• 6 Replies

Offline Moovylucky

• View Profile
« on: March 05, 2016, 10:01:09 AM »
Hello - I am a strat guy and love the sound of traditional single coils, but after much experimenting I've settled on the Dimarzio Area series for live use, as I'm a full time musician and can't sound like I'm standing next to a garbage truck on stage every time I turn on the overdrive.. Of course the Area series aren't perfect, but compared to real single coils I do find them quite convincing... Has anyone had success with EMG's? I know they won't sound exactly like a true single coil, but I play live so much and I want something that will be quiet and not lose fidelity or signal through a bunch of pedals and cables.. And I've read that they respond very well to the volume knob on the guitar, which I use very much. Supposedly, as you turn down the knob you don't lose any part of the frequency. I've tried many different high pass filters (treble bleeds) through the years and hated all of them, as they rolled off all of the bass, mid, and character of the pickup while preserving only treble frequencies... A big thing for me too is to not lose those beautiful 2 and 4 notch sounds.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated!

Offline jazzfromhell

• View Profile
Re: EMG's VS. trad single coils?
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2016, 10:22:42 AM »
I haven't used them much myself but they've been used by Lukather and Gilmour among others over the years so they can't be that bad.

Offline Moovylucky

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2016, 12:47:35 PM »
Anyone else? I'd love to hear some specific experiences/opinions on the tone of these pickups!

Offline DarthPhineas

• View Profile
    • Darth Phineas Guitar Gear Reviews
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2016, 12:54:08 PM »
Not tried any active singles. But I have tried active hums across 3 brands.

Check out the Fishman Fluence. I've tried the Classic hum set and the Modern hum set. None of the traditional down sides of active pickups. I'd imagine the same would apply to the singles.
Gear Reviews   |  Facebook   |   Twitter   |   Instagram

Offline Moovylucky

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2016, 01:18:23 PM »
thanks! Greg Koch has been talking about his signature Fishman model, and he seems to dig them.

Offline DarthPhineas

• View Profile
    • Darth Phineas Guitar Gear Reviews
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2016, 03:26:54 PM »

thanks! Greg Koch has been talking about his signature Fishman model, and he seems to dig them.

He's a good guy. Got to visit with him a bit last year. Knows his stuff. Not checked in to his signature set, but I know a few guys that have tried the regular single coil set and say good things.
Gear Reviews   |  Facebook   |   Twitter   |   Instagram

Offline Moovylucky

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2016, 04:29:31 PM »
He does indeed.. I've known him for probably 25 years, as we live in the same city and I've seen him play many times - sat in with him once in the late '90's.. He's always been a monster. And he's even funnier in person when he's around people he knows and is not in a family atmosphere.. He'll make your face and your ribs hurt from laughing and having no time to recover in between comments..