Single Coil Size P-90

• 6 Replies

Offline phrankenstrat

• View Profile
Single Coil Size P-90
« on: December 04, 2020, 01:30:52 pm »
Just like the title says. I'm looking for a single coil sized p-90 sounding pickup. I've glanced through the offerings and I can't seem to find anything. Can someone point me in the right direction? Possibly I missed something in the lineup. Thanks!

Offline buddroyce

• *Fake VIP*
  • Administrator
  • Founder
    • View Profile
    • BRL Guitarworks
Re: Single Coil Size P-90
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2020, 01:47:50 pm »
It's not noise cancelling but the first thing that came to my mind was the SDS-1.
Founder - DiMarzioForum.Com
Follow me on Twitter

Offline phrankenstrat

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2020, 01:55:32 pm »
It's not noise cancelling but the first thing that came to my mind was the SDS-1.
Thank you. I'll have to check that out. To be honest, I never looked in the non-humcancelling section as I greatly prefer noiseless. Have many Area pickups in my guitars and it would be awesome if they made a noiseless single coil sized P-90.

Offline buddroyce

• *Fake VIP*
  • Administrator
  • Founder
    • View Profile
    • BRL Guitarworks
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2020, 02:08:38 pm »
If you're looking for something that's noiseless that's kinda in the same area but not quite a P-90, I found the Injector Bridge to fit the bill pretty well also.
Founder - DiMarzioForum.Com
Follow me on Twitter

Offline phrankenstrat

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2020, 03:04:36 pm »
If you're looking for something that's noiseless that's kinda in the same area but not quite a P-90, I found the Injector Bridge to fit the bill pretty well also.
I have a set of Injectors in a Fernandes Strat (which incidentally is the guitar I'm looking to put it in). While I think they are great, beefy sounding pickups, they don't really give me that P-90 vibe. Almost too tame I would say.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2020, 03:06:19 pm by phrankenstrat »

Offline darkbluemurder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2020, 02:25:16 am »
Injector bridge is still a strat bridge, and to my ears only slightly leaning to the p90 territory. So is the Virtual Solo. There is no P90 in the DiMarzio Area series so if it has to be a humcancelling DiMarzio you would have to go to the dual rail types. Chopper would be closer but to me it is more hot PAF than P90. The Kinman Big Nine-O comes close. 

I agree with Budd that the SDS-1 comes close, too, but it is not humcancelling.

Cheers Stephan
Area 67, Area 58, Area 61, VV Pro 54, Injectors, VV HB2, Virtual Solo, SDS-1, Area T, Area Hot T, Area T 615, Virtual Hot T, Chopper T, Bluesbucker, Breed set, Air Norton, Super Distortion, DLX+, DLX-90, DP240, DP198, DP168, VHPAF, AT-1, Norton

Offline RayBarbeeMusic

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2021, 08:06:33 pm »
Kinman Big 90 is definitely significantly darker and has more inductance than an injector bridge, and doesn't respond as well to tone roll off.  The Injector bridge response amazingly well to a .0015 cap and a 500k tone rolled down; it can sound much more like a humbucker than the Big 90 in that scenario, where the Big 90 gets dark and pick attack gets lost with the same setup.  With the tone wide open, the big 90 is definitely darker.  He has a new one called kick-in-the-arse that I haven't tried yet, that is probably closer to a P90.