Ibanez RG470AHZ Pickup Replacement with Super Distortion

• 6 Replies

Offline bermuda

• View Profile
Ibanez RG470AHZ Pickup Replacement with Super Distortion
« on: March 18, 2016, 12:50:13 PM »
Hi - I have a 2012 stock Ibanez RG470AHZ that i am trying to replace the bridge pickup on. I bought a new DiMarzio Super Distortion to install but I can't figure out the wiring. I searched everywhere and what I have seen is the correlation between the INF2 Bridge pickup wiring color and the DiMarzio are:

DiMarzio red to INF2 red
DiMarzio white/black to INF2 white
DiMarzio green/bare to INF2 bare (ground on pot)

I triple checked the connections but only get half the output out of the pickup when wired this way (~7.5 instead of 14 or so) so i think i'm only getting one coil. This is the only pickup i am replacing - i left the other 2 factory pickups - any ideas?

Thanks - I hate to give up and take it to the shop.

Offline greenlion

• View Profile
Re: Ibanez RG470AHZ Pickup Replacement with Super Distortion
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2016, 12:04:49 PM »
If you made a diagram before you disconnected the Ibanez pickups:
Use a multimeter to see which of the Ibanez wires is the Hot, and which is the Split. (The hot will be the one with the higher meter reading)

On my Ibanez INF3 and INF4 set, White is hot, red is split, black is ground.

On the Dimarzio, Red is hot, Black+White get soldered together, and green+bare is ground.

Offline darkbluemurder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2016, 11:59:12 AM »
Try changing the red and the black+white connections and see whether the problem persists.

Good luck,
Stephan
Area 67, Area 58, Area 61, VV Pro 54, Injectors, VV HB2, Virtual Solo, SDS-1, Area T, Area Hot T, Area T 615, Virtual Hot T, Chopper T, Bluesbucker, Breed set, Air Norton, Super Distortion, DLX+ set, DLX-90, DP240, DP198, DP168, VPAF b, AT-1, Mo' Joe, FRED, Super 2; GS b

Offline bermuda

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2016, 08:08:36 PM »
Hi - thanks for the replies - should one of the wires read ~14 or so? I can' t seem to make that happen - just ~7 or so......

Thanks again

Offline darkbluemurder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2016, 04:39:23 AM »
Yes, one should read 14k but only if black and white are soldered together. If you have all wires separated and disconnected from anything in the circuitry the maximum reading you will get is for one coil (i.e. 7k).

Try the following: desolder everything except green and bare (you can leave them connected to ground). Connect black and white together. Now if you measure red to ground (which is the same as red to green) you should get about 14k. If you measure red to black/white you should get about 7k.

Good luck,
Stephan
Area 67, Area 58, Area 61, VV Pro 54, Injectors, VV HB2, Virtual Solo, SDS-1, Area T, Area Hot T, Area T 615, Virtual Hot T, Chopper T, Bluesbucker, Breed set, Air Norton, Super Distortion, DLX+ set, DLX-90, DP240, DP198, DP168, VPAF b, AT-1, Mo' Joe, FRED, Super 2; GS b

Offline bermuda

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2016, 12:10:29 AM »
Hi - i did disconnect all wires except the green/bare ground on back of pot and then wrapped the black and white together and got 14 on red and ground.  Maybe i connected it to the incorrect places on the switch, though i checked to make sure the connections were as they are in my first post in this thread.

Offline darkbluemurder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2016, 05:06:07 AM »
Good - this means that the pickup should work correctly.

You need to establish now to where the red wire has to go to. First of all, you need to find the common output of the switch. Measure with your multimeter between any connection and the hot connection of the output jack - the one that shows zero ohms wherever you set the pickup selector is the common output. You can also measure between the connections and the volume pot input (if the guitar only has one volume pot).

Next, set the pickup selector to the bridge only position. Then measure with your multimeter between the hot (tip) of the output jack. You should get zero ohms. If you move the selector to say the neck position you should get infinite ohms. Connect the red wire to that terminal.

Finally you need to determine where the black+white needs to go. Insofar it is important to know that the black+white will be disconnected when the selector is set to bridge only but will be grounded when the selector is set to bridge + middle. You will therefore need to identify which terminal on the switch is grounded only when the switch is in the bridge+middle position. Do the same measuring routine as before and you will find it. This is where black+white should be connected.

Good luck,
Stephan