Show Posts

This section allows you to view all posts made by this member. Note that you can only see posts made in areas you currently have access to.


Messages - corypheus

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8
1
Everything you wanted to know about .... / Re: The AT-1
« on: September 23, 2026, 10:48:38 AM »
That is certainly something worth trying.

With one caveat I forgot to mention, 1mohm vol pot really in my experience likes a treble bleed, even a simple one, since as the volume goes down the sound turns darker at a higher rate than with lower resistance volume pots. I use volume pot a lot since I am running essentially a single channel amp, so to get a semblance of clean I need to turn it down, but if you're set and forget type of player then the treble bleed serves little purpose.

Have a good one

2
Everything you wanted to know about .... / Re: The AT-1
« on: September 22, 2026, 09:53:51 AM »
I have moved my AT-1 from guitar to guitar, always finding something lacking in the end - mostly too much bloated midrange.

That is until I put it in a bolt-on Junior type guitar with a Paulownia body and maple/rosewood neck. It replaced a Mo' Joe which was fine but lacked the substance on the higher notes. I had thought long and hard about what to put in there and initially thought "not the AT-1" as I did not think it would be a good fit. But I did - and I am glad I did. The guitar loves the AT-1. It filled the missing frequencies nicely to make the high notes fat. The bottom end is not overly tight but not flubby either. And, finally, it does not sound nasal in this guitar. Like the JB, the AT-1 appears to be more sensitive than the average humbucker to the guitar it is in.

It is the only pickup in that guitar, which has a volume and a tone control (both 500k audio) and a 3-way toggle wired for series/parallel/single coil.

Cheers Stephan

I'm sure you know this even better than me, but I remember reading that AT1 on a 500k vol pot was basically designed to sound like a TB4 loaded with 250k volume pot. I always approached this as the "bible" and simply always mated AT1 with 1000k volume pot (I don't use tone pots), and had great success. It's still smoother sounding than a JB, but the bigger volume pot really opens the congested bloaty midrange, at least in my experience. This was mostly in two Les Pauls, so shorter scale heavier guitars (mahogany made if you tend to believe body woods have an impact on the end sound, fwiw).

3
The Pickup Place / Re: Pickups that have left you less than impressed?
« on: September 22, 2026, 09:45:56 AM »
I have played Nita Strauss JivaJr that a friend swapped in DiMarzio Pandemonium and modded the guitar to accept schaller floyd rose. The guitar really negatively surprised me as the neck was twisted (mind you this was a fairly new guitar) slightly towards the bass side at the ending of the neck nearing the locking nut but the biggest surprise were the DiMarzios in it.

I found the bridge to be very in your face, which is a quality I actually personally like - but both of the pickups were lacking articulation and presence. Both were quite nasal sounding, congested in the mids and at the same time somehow they both felt stiff and dry.

I don't remember if I tried this years ago when they came out, I possibly could have, but I don't remember if I did and what were my thoughts back then - but trying them now really made me think they are possibly the worst DiMarzios I have tried, and I tried probably 90% of everything in the "high power" category and most in the other two as well. Could it possibly have been the guitar? Maybe, as the guitar wasn't really a good one.

4
Everything you wanted to know about .... / Re: Dp200 Morse Bridge
« on: February 24, 2021, 02:54:02 PM »
Thanks,

I guess I'll try and see, sounds like an interesting pickup. If all that's correct I don't really understand the dislikes this pickup gets.

Anyway, thanks.

Corypheus

5
Everything you wanted to know about .... / Re: Dp200 Morse Bridge
« on: February 22, 2021, 04:30:04 PM »
Thank you for that!

By your experience, how does it compare to say a classic, super distortion?

Corey

6
Everything you wanted to know about .... / Dp200 Morse Bridge
« on: February 22, 2021, 12:34:46 AM »
Hey all,

I've pretty much played just about every Dimarzio that came out before 2015 and had it in one guitar or another except a few. One of them is the Morse bridge.

I've always hesitated to pull the trigger on this one. Reasons are numerous. Obviously besides Steve himself no one else plays it. Why is that so, what's wrong with it? There's not a lot of YouTube vids of it. No one ever talks about it. You can't ever find one used. Heck finding new one seems to be hard. But why?

What little vids I found and descriptions, seems to point out on a medium output dark sounding humbucker, without a particularly memorable character. Is that true?

Then there's the whole specifications thing. Morse bridge is, according to Dimarzio, 9.7 kohm, 5.5h but somehow is louder than a super 3 with huge mV rating. Eq that seem to make it almost piercingly bright on paper. Yet those little vids I could find on YouTube sound nothing alike what they look on paper.


So I'm asking anyone, with a first hand experience with this pickup, to tell me something about it. I wanna know how it really sounds like, how does it compare to few of the more popular Dimarzio, such as SuperD, Norton, Evo. Tell me your experience with this pickup.

Thanks and cheers.
Corey

7
The Pickup Place / Rip Van Halen
« on: October 07, 2020, 04:12:36 AM »
Hi all,

I don't often do these kinds of threads and you will have to forgive me if this is not the right place to put this but...

You know, the single most defining aspect that made me want to pick a guitar and play it, Eddie, is no longer around...

I can't tell you how I feel about it even though I never met him.
I feel like a part of my childhood is gone forever.


Rest in peace, brother, enjoy playing up with Hendrix, Stevie Ray and all the other brothers and sisters.

Cory

8
The Pickup Place / Re: 2019 new models
« on: March 11, 2019, 04:30:25 PM »
Dream Catcher and Rain Maker are John Pettruci signatures? :D Since they are both in 6 and 7 string , they should be JPs? At least they are super high gain since they are in 7 string.

Yes, they are, from a video of Petrucci, he says they are a refined version of the Illuminators, so probably similar output. I'm really looking forward to those personally.

9
The Pickup Place / Re: 2019 new models
« on: February 24, 2019, 08:26:22 AM »
Lots of new things to look forward to! :D

Indeed!
Banjomikez already has the new pickups in store! Check out his eBay Store!
https://www.ebay.com/str/banjomikez/  :madness:

I couldn't find Dreamcatcher/Rainmaker there, I thought they will be out for purchase by themselves (they do come in MusicMan guitars) by now. Well, there's to some more hoping.

10
I don't think alot of people are aware of SatchTrack sound pretty much like a humbucker but having dynamics of a single coil. Even though it's designed for neck, it sounds equally as good in middle as well as bridge, with lower power middle and neck in a set.

11
Steve Morse also played a Super Dee on the bridge in an alder guitar before, and Morse bridge is, afaik, based on the Super Dee itself, so that's definitely a choice right there - and not a pickup that I'd call bright, either.

12
The Pickup Place / Re: PAF Pro/Air Zone not quite doing it for me
« on: January 30, 2019, 06:28:33 PM »

Here's what I've considered:

Moving the PAF pro to the bridge
Duncan custom or custom 5
Duncan Slash bridge or the set
Duncan Perpetual Burn (maybe too high gain?)
Dimarzio Norton
Dimarzio Air classic
Dimarzio 36th anniversary bridge or set
Steve's Special
Mo Joe
EMG Hot 70s

Thanks all

Howdy,

Welcome to the forums. First off, there's not a lot of people that tried AZ in mahogany guitar and thought "bright", my experience with it was it's pretty undefined in the low register but smooth in the mids. It definitely had less highs then, say, a Norton (which, IMO works wonders for alt/indie rock sound in a mahogany axe), and much less then a Paf PRO on the bridge - which, honestly, is pretty bright. Steve Special is a pretty mid scooped and bright pickup, I personally wouldn't use it for the stuff you want to play, except if you plan on boosting the mids.

In terms of bridge:

36th anniversary will work with anything really, but you're gonna trade some output in the process (or rather, some mids). You'll also have to dig in a bit more to get the same attack/spank out of them, as they're more sensitive to picking differences. They have a very melodic mids, but they don't exhibit the cocked waah sound the many DMZs do (ToneZone perhaps being the most obvious and, in extent, it's aired version). 36's a kind of modern take on PAFs by DMZ, with light picking hand sounds vintage with heavier playing sounds punchier and more authoritative. Would definitely works wonders for alt rock (or rock of any kind).

IMO, it's not worth the added money to go for Slash siggy, when you can get A2Pros cheaper, specially used (Slash siggys are harder to find), when it's essentially the same pickup. By fiddling with the eq, adding some mids, taking some presence and adding a touch gain, the A2Pros sound pretty much like Slash, at least to my ears. They're good pickups, surprisingly versatile, and probably the closest Duncan to 36th anny, or at least to my ears. Having both in a, practicly the same guitar, for few months I sold the Duncans and kept the 36th anniversary.

Custom family pickups are super versatile pickups, but I'd personally steer clear of ceramic custom if you think AZ is bright. A2 or A8 would probably be more up your alley in that case.

I haven't tried perpetual burn from Duncan (well, majority of their custom shop pickups, really) so can't offer you much help there.

I tried EMG Fat 55s and Hot 70s, and while they were pretty good pickups, I didn't personally care that much for them. They have that certain broad frequency curve quality which makes them sound a bit bland, without a character. This is of course my opinion. I liked the Hot 70s more (it's a ceramic bridge from Super 77, a SuperD copy, if you will, and a Fat 55 neck, which is a pretty overwound PAF kind of sound), then the "Fat" 55s, probably because the bridge actually resembled a SuperDee, in a louder, more even, without a fuzzy top kind of way.

In terms of EMGs, I really liked 58 on the bridge (something between a loud p90 and an big paf sound), 60A (very similar to mini humbucker sounding, just bigger) and an 89 which is a splittable 85/SA, however does sound a bit different to 85 as it's tighter and has a touch more upper mids. That said, honestly, if you feel AZ is a "too high output", any EMG will feel way over powered.


Now in terms of the qualities you mentioned... the only "higher output" pickup I'd steer you towards is the Titan, it's open, clear, vocal, modern in voice and warm enough for any kind of rock.

Neck:

I'd stay with Paf Pro on the neck, or if you want a sweeter clean tones, and don't mind a small loss of output, 36th anny, as that thing really delivers and matches nicely to any style of playing, style of music and to pretty much any bridge pickup.

HTH,
Cory

13
The Pickup Place / Re: 2019 new models
« on: January 29, 2019, 10:31:19 AM »
I second the Fantom 90, wanna know if it's dummy-coiled like P100s or real singlecoil.

Also, would be very happy if someone would share any information on the Dreamcatcher and the Rainmaker pickups, like specs and etc, which are supposed to be further refinement of the Illuminators.

Thanks.

14
The Pickup Place / Re: Illuminator
« on: January 29, 2019, 07:17:17 AM »
Oh yeah, I read it, like many of your other reviews. Thanks for that.

I was specifically looking into getting some feedback of putting these bad boys to short scale singlecut all-mahogany guitar, like the Les Paul, because let's face it Petrucci's Music Man fiddles sound a bit different to your average Gibson LP out there.  :)

15
The Pickup Place / Re: Illuminator
« on: January 27, 2019, 11:58:31 AM »
It’s more open sounding that the CL/LF set. I like the set a lot.

That is good to hear, CL was a bit bloated in the low mids, and LF I thought was a bit too compressed for my liking. Of course, imho.

So far so good.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8