3 Humbucker wiring with vol and 3 way toggle?

• 5 Replies

Offline Matt_B

• View Profile
3 Humbucker wiring with vol and 3 way toggle?
« on: February 23, 2016, 02:25:45 PM »
I've got a guitar that I recently put EJ Customs into and I'm really digging them so I'm considering adding a 3rd one in the middle. I'd prefer to prefer to keep the control as simple as possible while allow for as many pickup combinations as possible (within reason).

The controls on the guitar right now and just 1 volume control and a LP style 3 way toggle. What I'd like to do is change the volume control to a push-pull that actives the middle humbucker but I've yet to find a wiring schematic for this on Dimarzios site or anywhere else.

I know I can contact Dimarzio to see if they can hook me up but I figured I'd try here first.

Thanks.

Offline DarthPhineas

• View Profile
    • Darth Phineas Guitar Gear Reviews
Re: 3 Humbucker wiring with vol and 3 way toggle?
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2016, 06:18:37 PM »
Have you tried www.guitarelectronics.com ?
Gear Reviews   |  Facebook   |   Twitter   |   Instagram

Offline Matt_B

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2016, 07:46:57 PM »
I totally forgot about them. Thanks for posting that. To my untrained eye it appears that will work for my control layout.

Offline darkbluemurder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2016, 03:14:30 AM »
I have a three humbucking pickup guitar which I set up with one volume, one tone, one toggle switch to select bridge, bridge+ neck and neck, and a switch which added the middle pickup to any combination selected with the toggle switch. This set up allowed me to control the volume of each combination whereas the diagram posted will not allow you to control the volume of the middle pickup - it's always full on except you turn down the volume of the other pickup selected with it - but by that time the whole output is shunted to ground.

Cheers Stephan
Area 67, Area 58, Area 61, VV Pro 54, Injectors, VV HB2, Virtual Solo, SDS-1, Area T, Area Hot T, Area T 615, Virtual Hot T, Chopper T, Bluesbucker, Breed set, Air Norton, Super Distortion, DLX+ set, DLX-90, DP240, DP198, DP168, VPAF b, AT-1, Mo' Joe, FRED, Super 2; GS b

Offline Matt_B

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2016, 06:19:11 AM »
You're right. Now I see that.

It seems that if I switched the output of the push/pull to the left lug of the volume pot it will work correctly meaning every pickup will be affected by the volume pot. I will not be able to use the middle pickup by itself by I'm ok with that.