Chopper and cruiser (bridge) balance?

• 2 Replies

Offline Brooklyn_Bean

• View Profile
Chopper and cruiser (bridge) balance?
« on: September 18, 2020, 12:25:06 AM »
Hi all!
I want to use a Cruiser bridge model in the neck and a chopper in the bridge of my guitar. I know the cruiser bridge model needs a 500k volume pot and 500k tone pot when it’s in the neck position. But my favorite setup for the chopper is a 500k vol pot and a 250k tone.

Would a resistor make this combo possible for me? If so, What value resistor would I need and where would i solder it?

Any help is appreciated. Thank you!!!!!

Offline darkbluemurder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Chopper and cruiser (bridge) balance?
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2020, 04:11:57 AM »
There is no single pickup that "needs" any particular value to work well. That all depends on the way the guitar sounds acoustically - a bright guitar may work well with 250k pots all around whereas a dark guitar could even be too dark with 500k pots all around.

For those two pickups, 500k volume is a good start. The difference between a 250k and a 500k tone pot is like comparing a 500k tone pot set to 9 or 10 so there will be a difference but not night and day.

I would try the Cruiser with 500k volume and 250k tone first and then evaluate whether anything is missing, and then think about any further changes.

Btw: how many volume and tone controls do you have on that guitar?

Cheers Stephan
Area 67, Area 58, Area 61, VV Pro 54, Injectors, VV HB2, Virtual Solo, SDS-1, Area T, Area Hot T, Area T 615, Virtual Hot T, Chopper T, Bluesbucker, Breed set, Air Norton, Super Distortion, DLX+ set, DLX-90, DP240, DP198, DP168, VPAF b, AT-1, Mo' Joe, FRED, Super 2; GS b

Offline Brooklyn_Bean

• View Profile
Re: Chopper and cruiser (bridge) balance?
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2020, 11:20:05 PM »
Thanks for the insight, darkbluemurderstephan!

This is a roasted alder guitar with a single volume and single tone, and Will have a 5-way super switch.