Update new pickups (Injector+Chopper)

• 4 Replies

Hugo77

Update new pickups (Injector+Chopper)
« on: July 19, 2015, 04:33:40 AM »
My last post was about ordering two new pickups for my Strat-model custom guitar. I had 3 Seymour Duncans, but I didn't like the JBjr in the bridge position and the Little 59 in the middle.
I did like the Little 59 in the neck position, so I decided to keep it there. My goal was to make a R&R machine, but I didn't want the pu's to be too hot on this guitar. And since I've been dying to play the Dimarzio Chopper and the Injector, well...why not take the chance?

I decided on the bridge version of the Injector for middle position because of the increased output and decreased high end, compared to the neck version specs. I actually use the middle pickup a lot on it's own and that I don't like position 2 and 4 all that much in general. Fortunately for me, since there had been a slight mixup at the shop aparently cause pos2&4 are now out of phase ??? Got to get that fixed this week, but that won't be a problem.

As far as the pickups on their own, the Chopper (bridge) sound exactly like I knew it would. I think if you're an experienced player, you can watch youtube vids on these pickups and get a fairly acurate idea as how they would sound. That is, if you pick similar guitars and know the amps they use.
Anyway, that worked for me with both pickups although the Injector was a bit of a gamble, because obviously it'd be used in the bridge position mainly.

How they sound? I use a samp-ash bodied guitar, with a birdseye maple neck and ebony fretboard. Amp-wise I use a Kemper with different amp profiles, mainly vintage Marshall, Fender, but also Evil Robot Phil X custom and Splawn amps. Just to give you an idea of the setting and overal vibe.
Like I stated, the Chopper is the Chopper. For some reason or other it usually sounds more or less the same. Which is not a bad thing! It has great character and the pup is aptly named I think. Great pickup for R&R, Blues(Rock), Fusion and more. For metal not so much.
The Injector is an interesting one. Like I said, I use it a lot on it's own and it doesn't disappoint. It can be a bit harsh depending on your amp and settings. For example if you use some old Marshall, you might want to dial down the high end or presence.

The pups are very responsive and make me want to play more. And oddly enough, they go really wel together! In my opinion anyway. The unlikely combo sounds well balanced together in volume and tone. When switching pu's during playing you'd hear a difference in sound, but in a natural way. Like on a great Strat or Les Paul.
I doubt this is going to be useful to anyone, but I though to tell about my initial findings nonetheless.
Apologies for the long story ;)

Offline tonejam

• View Profile
Re: Update new pickups (Injector+Chopper)
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2015, 09:23:57 AM »
Apology not necessary, thanks for taking the time.

Offline buddroyce

• *Fake VIP*
  • Administrator
  • Founder
    • View Profile
    • BRL Guitarworks
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2015, 02:16:26 PM »
Your opinions are probably more useful than you think. Everyone has a different take on tone so the more we get the better.
Founder - DiMarzioForum.Com
Follow me on Twitter

Hugo77

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2015, 02:53:16 PM »
Thanks for the comments.
Just put down my guitar, playing a lead profile of a Splawn Quick Rod from the Kemper Community that I modified (many thanks to the original profiler!). Sounds absolutely insane and these new pickups rip!
Coulnd't be happier with the Chopper so far. Whether I pick or plug or use a combination of the two, it's really dynamic and responsive. Same goes for the neck Seymour Duncan Little 59 though, as well as the DM Injector in the middle. Great combo of 3 different pu's that somehow work well together on this particular guitar.

In addition to what I wrote previous, I should mention I installed a Seymour Duncan Yngwie Malmsteen speed-pot and a really good tone-pot. Additionally one of thosebig  orange (forget which brand) capacitors of 22 something. The speed-pot volume works like a charm when cleaning up a drive sound i.e.
If I owned a Tele, I could see myself using a Chopper in the bridge and a Little 59 in the neck for a versatile yet completely different vibe.
But at the end of the day, it all comes down to ears, fingers and money :D I mean Guthrie Govan sounds amazing anytime, anywhere and so does Eddy van Halen (who originated from 'my' country btw, although it's relevance is lost even on myself :P)

Offline darkbluemurder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2015, 10:41:04 AM »
... and make me want to play more.

That's the goal of it, right?

Normally I would have gone with the Injector neck for the middle position but with the bright wood combination you have you obviously made the right move. 

Agree about the Chopper - great pickup, so is the Chopper T.

Cheers Stephan
Area 67, Area 58, Area 61, VV Pro 54, Injectors, VV HB2, Virtual Solo, SDS-1, Area T, Area Hot T, Area T 615, Virtual Hot T, Chopper T, Bluesbucker, Breed set, Air Norton, Super Distortion, DLX+ set, DLX-90, DP240, DP198, DP168, VPAF b, AT-1, Mo' Joe, FRED, Super 2; GS b