HSS wiring help. Tone Zone S and 2 Areas

• 4 Replies

Offline ledvedder

• View Profile
HSS wiring help. Tone Zone S and 2 Areas
« on: March 07, 2021, 11:00:44 AM »
I'd like to wire up my strat to have either the Tone Zone S in parallel or split in the 2nd position. I'm not sure which would sound better yet. But, would these diagrams be correct? I've read to use all the red wires as hot when using all Dimarzios, but these seem to contradict that.

Offline darkbluemurder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: HSS wiring help. Tone Zone S and 2 Areas
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2021, 03:01:36 AM »
As I never used a Tone Zone S I cannot tell how it sounds in either configuration. If you choose parallel for the 2nd position and want to happen automatically, you need a 24-pole-switch (aka mega switch or super switch). If you choose single coil you can do it with a simple 5-way switch but to keep it humcancelling you have to split the middle Area as well (which is no problem btw).

Cheers Stephan
Area 67, Area 58, Area 61, VV Pro 54, Injectors, VV HB2, Virtual Solo, SDS-1, Area T, Area Hot T, Area T 615, Virtual Hot T, Chopper T, Bluesbucker, Breed set, Air Norton, Super Distortion, DLX+ set, DLX-90, DP240, DP198, DP168, VPAF b, AT-1, Mo' Joe, FRED, Super 2; GS b

Offline ledvedder

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2021, 09:53:47 AM »
I emailed Dimarzio support, and they sent me these 2 diagrams. 1 with a switch for bridge series/parallel, and one for bridge always on. They confirmed that the Areas' hot would be green and the Tone Zone S' hot would be red.

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk

Offline darkbluemurder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2021, 06:03:26 AM »
Well, then, best to try both and see what you prefer. The parallel option has the advantage of staying humcancelling.

Cheers Stephan
Area 67, Area 58, Area 61, VV Pro 54, Injectors, VV HB2, Virtual Solo, SDS-1, Area T, Area Hot T, Area T 615, Virtual Hot T, Chopper T, Bluesbucker, Breed set, Air Norton, Super Distortion, DLX+ set, DLX-90, DP240, DP198, DP168, VPAF b, AT-1, Mo' Joe, FRED, Super 2; GS b

Offline buddroyce

• *Fake VIP*
  • Administrator
  • Founder
    • View Profile
    • BRL Guitarworks
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2021, 08:45:05 PM »
I'm actually really glad to hear that you got a response from DiMarzio's tech support. It means they're back up and running again.... kinda.... maybe...
Founder - DiMarzioForum.Com
Follow me on Twitter