36th Anniversary bridge in neck position.

• 7 Replies

Offline wxs3

• Embrace the Madness, The Madness is Good
    • View Profile
36th Anniversary bridge in neck position.
« on: April 01, 2018, 05:16:19 PM »
Thinking of doing this with my H-H strat with ToneZone in bridge. Has anyone tried the 36th bridge in the neck?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My first aftermarket pickup was a Super Distortion back in the 70's.  I strayed and tried Rio Grandes, Duncans, and EMGs only to come back to Dimarzio.  Funny were life takes you.

Offline wxs3

• View Profile
Re: 36th Anniversary bridge in neck position.
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2018, 10:29:17 AM »
(null)
Thanks guys

My first aftermarket pickup was a Super Distortion back in the 70's.  I strayed and tried Rio Grandes, Duncans, and EMGs only to come back to Dimarzio.  Funny were life takes you.

Offline buddroyce

• *Fake VIP*
  • Administrator
  • Founder
    • View Profile
    • BRL Guitarworks
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2018, 11:10:24 PM »
Sorry a bit late here. I actually tried a PAF 36th bridge in the neck position. It works fine as long as you have something with a good amount of power in the bridge. I don't see it being a problem with a Tone Zone and could actually balance each other fairly well.
Founder - DiMarzioForum.Com
Follow me on Twitter

Offline wxs3

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2018, 11:49:33 PM »
Sorry a bit late here. I actually tried a PAF 36th bridge in the neck position. It works fine as long as you have something with a good amount of power in the bridge. I don't see it being a problem with a Tone Zone and could actually balance each other fairly well.

Thanks for the reply, Bud.  I haven’t done it yet as I have a VPAF in the neck currently.  I fine it boomy some places which lead me to ask. I’m using a 60 watt Fender Super Sonic, wgs Reaper HP speaker on the Bassman channel with BE OD.  If the 36th doesn’t work out, I may try HFH in the neck.

Offline DarthPhineas

• View Profile
    • Darth Phineas Guitar Gear Reviews
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2018, 06:46:38 AM »
The regular reaper can be a little fuller in the lows and low mids than some. The reaper 50w even a little more so.

Are you using the VPAF bridge or VPAF neck in the neck slot?

The HFH can definitely be an option for a full-sounding neck position, but I found it to be a little too brittle. Have you considered the PAF Pro?

It’s much harder to take lows out than it is to put them in.

Please share your results.  ;-)
Gear Reviews   |  Facebook   |   Twitter   |   Instagram

Offline wxs3

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2018, 02:46:11 PM »
I currently have the VPAF neck in that guitar with a Tone Zone in the bridge.  The D, G,B, and E strings sound very fluid and articulate. The low E and A strings sound like they slightly flub out at times.  It might be my eq on the amp needs adjusting. I’m very happy with the reaper hp 55 speaker as it seems to have opened the amp up considerably over the V30 that was in there.   The Friedman BE OD pedal is awesome in this setup.  I find it interesting that I don’t have any issues with the TZ’s low end but do with the VPAF in the neck.

Offline buddroyce

• *Fake VIP*
  • Administrator
  • Founder
    • View Profile
    • BRL Guitarworks
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2018, 05:42:59 PM »
Have you tried adjusting the pickup height or the poles on the bass side of the pickup?
Founder - DiMarzioForum.Com
Follow me on Twitter

Offline wxs3

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2018, 11:16:58 PM »
Have you tried adjusting the pickup height or the poles on the bass side of the pickup?
Yeah I’m thinking it’s time for a fret job.