Air Classic

• 9 Replies

Offline mesa0131

• View Profile
Air Classic
« on: July 01, 2012, 06:11:36 PM »
Anyone have any insight into this pickup!? Would be much appreciated! ???
Fine wines are found in glass bottles, not plastics sacks; As such, so are the finer electrons.

Offline LPBII

• View Profile
Re: Air Classic
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2013, 11:06:36 AM »
It may be a little late, but yeah I have insight on this wonderful pickup.  It is my favorite humbucker and use it in multiple guitars.  I have a set of custom made PAF clones as well and the Air Classics sound very close, but with better picking dynamics.  It is the touch response that sets the Air Classics apart from the herd of PAF clones.  You can get the type of dynamics and draw out musical tones best illustrated by early Alman Bros live recordings with the Air Classic.  It's a very musical sounding pickup with good clarity. You can hear every note in complex chord. Might be a bit polite for those that like their sound a bit rude though.

Offline JackGriffiths

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2014, 04:45:46 PM »
How would you say Air Classics capture that 'Tele on steroids' feel in an LP? DiMarzio's tech support has recommended I try a pair of ACs to replace a DP223 bridge model and a DP103 in the neck - I find them a little too hot, muddy in the lows and mid-rangey. I'd definitely like something quieter and with more touch response and dynamics with the volume/tone controls. I've tried wiring the DP103 in parallel but it's a little too weak for me and doesn't quite balance with the 223 in the bridge. It would also be really great if they can thicken up under high gain (I've seen Paul Gilbert has had success with this but his tone is a little fuzzy). Do they still retain the clarity?

Is this the right choice for me or would I be better to look at Bluesbuckers or EJs?

Sorry, too many questions!

Jack

Offline LPBII

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2014, 09:31:11 PM »
I havn't tried the AC in the neck position.  Give me a couple weeks, though, and I will have tried the AC in the neck of a LP.  I can say that in the bridge position it is warmer, and more dynamic, and more touch sensitive than the 36th.

I'd definitely like something quieter and with more touch response and dynamics with the volume/tone controls.

^^This the AC does well, at least in the bridge position

The Bluesbucker is pretty loud for a neck position pickup unless your using a high output pickup in the bridge position. I have a BB in the neck of a superstrat and a TZ in the bridge barely balances it. 

I have no experience with the EJ neck.

Offline JackGriffiths

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2014, 04:37:03 AM »
Thanks for your reply - It's this 'added warmth' that is of concern to me. I'm looking for more cut and clarity and I'll told the AC can get both but also adds warmth, this sounds like a paradox to me.  ???

Thanks,
Jack

Offline LPBII

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2014, 02:48:58 PM »
Its not muddy. I think its warmer because it doesn't have an upper mid spike.

Offline KH Guitar Freak

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2014, 02:46:53 PM »
Thread revival it seems. I'm thinking of getting a matched set for my LTD Xtone PS-1. I'm looking for a more jazzy tone with this guitar. Dimarzio recommended the 36th anniversary PAF neck in the neck position, and the Air Classic bridge in the bridge position. Anyone willing to share some insight on that???

Offline LPBII

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2014, 09:40:43 AM »
Thread revival it seems. I'm thinking of getting a matched set for my LTD Xtone PS-1. I'm looking for a more jazzy tone with this guitar. Dimarzio recommended the 36th anniversary PAF neck in the neck position, and the Air Classic bridge in the bridge position. Anyone willing to share some insight on that???

The 36th is bright and tight. The neck model even more than the bridge model. So they are recommending it for the neck position to maximize articulation in that guitar for how you want to use it.

The Air Classic is more musical and sweet so it will pay nicely in the bridge position for what you want.

Offline Mew

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2020, 07:22:39 AM »
I would love to see Air Classic Neck in RAIL !!!

Offline Rabelais

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2020, 09:32:58 PM »
Anyone have any insight into this pickup!? Would be much appreciated! ???

A bit late to the post. I have the Air Classic Neck (DP190) paired with tha PAF 36th Anniversary (DP103) in the bridge position. I love them both. The Air Classic neck has a very good sustain in my PRS SE Singlecut. And it´s very clear.