Air Norton Bridge Position

• 9 Replies

Offline RayBarbeeMusic

• View Profile
Air Norton Bridge Position
« on: November 15, 2023, 01:10:25 PM »
Anyone else do this?  I'm just loving this pickup in the bridge position.  Output wise and tonally, it's in the PAF camp even though nothing like a PAF on paper.  Very open, articulate high end but enough grunt and growl in the lows to sound angry through a Marshall, but not muddy at all.  DiMarzio lists it as having slightly less output than a 36th bridge, but it comes off as hotter in practice due to the frequency response.  Pushes a marshall style front end harder.  More open highs, less squawk, more grunt/growl than the 36th bridge. Extremely responsive to pick attack, and very shred friendly in terms of tracking speed.

Really digging the hell out of it in 2HB guitars.

Offline darkbluemurder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Air Norton Bridge Position
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2023, 04:03:02 AM »
Yes.

I had it in 2H and HSS set ups with good results. Actually mine (F-Spaced) is sitting around idling at the moment. I have two candidates for it - coincidentally one a 2H and one a HSS - and I haven't made up my mind where it should go. Probably in the 2H with a DP240 mini in the neck spot. With the HSS I would have to flip the magnet to use the bridge coil in split mode and be humcancelling with the middle, and I am not looking forward to doing that.

Cheers Stephan
Area 67, Area 58, Area 61, VV Pro 54, Injectors, VV HB2, Virtual Solo, SDS-1, Area T, Area Hot T, Area T 615, Virtual Hot T, Chopper T, Bluesbucker, Breed set, Air Norton, Super Distortion, DLX+ set, DLX-90, DP240, DP198, DP168, VPAF b, AT-1, Mo' Joe, FRED, Super 2; GS b

Offline headcrash

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2023, 05:15:50 AM »
I have done maybe a year ago and there was something I didn't like, think it was something with the highs.
Also I think I was missing some of the high mids of the stock EvH custom DiMarzios.

I guess I'd see things a little differently now, because since a few months I am really, really digging a more PAF-ish output: I got a VHPAF, put it into one of my EBMM Axis Sports (bridge position, that is), and it is killer.

Having a PAF 36th DP103 there in the neck ATM, I could imagine an AN bridge could cure the, or some of the, lack of bass when switching from neck to bridge.

What I especially like with the VHPAF is the punch when riffing hard. I mostly play Fryette clones, and I am all about dry, stiff, punchy, jumps-outta-the-cab-at-you drop D chugs.

While I still like the stock EvH custom DiMarzios, these do compress, I can clearly feel that there is some give with my right hand. The VHPAF translates my right hand movements more accurately, if you will.

I wonder how the AN compares to the PAF 36th bridge in terms of  compression (considering VHPAF and 36th bridge feel quite the same).

Offline gregr

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2023, 10:04:26 AM »
With the HSS I would have to flip the magnet to use the bridge coil in split mode and be humcancelling with the middle, and I am not looking forward to doing that.

If the singles use alnico rods then instead you can use a neodymium magnet to reverse their polarity.

While he used two cylindrical magnets I successfully used a pair of neo bar magnets on both alnico slugs to reverse their polarity as well as recharge bar magnets. I’m certain a single neo bar magnet will work as well. Just be sure to check the orientation of the magnet field emanating from the magnets.

https://youtu.be/Ig-t5wx3iyw?si=-fBG6Ydo-QqxMExw

« Last Edit: November 16, 2023, 03:21:03 PM by gregr »
Areas 58/61/67/Hot T, VV 54P/B/HB2, InjN. FT1&2, Satch Track. Corgan & Timmons sets.
BNIB, PAF Pro, HFH, Air Norton, LiquiFire, EJ Neck, V Mini N&B
Duncan SSL-2&6T, Lil Demon, JBJrN, HotRailN. 59, Jazz/APH & Full Shred sets. JB, Customs_2/5/Ceramic, Seymourizer II, Screamin’ Demon
Various hybrids

Offline kookaburra

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2024, 03:50:57 PM »
Looking to drop a pair of Dimarzios into a 93 Hamer Special FM.  I’ll go Air Classic in the neck.

I have been thinking 36th, but your description of the AN in the bridge is sounding like something I’d dig.

My Dimarzio experience is limited to Super Distortions and X2Ns.  Those really worked well for me.  I’m looking for lower output these days, but not necessarily 1950s PAF output.

Offline nienturi

• AlNiCo IV Zone
    • View Profile
    • Tone Journey
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2024, 05:28:17 AM »
I've ordered a brand new double cream Air Norton for the bridge. I'll soon write a review about it ;)
https://www.tonejourney.com
Everything and everyone about the Guitar; Honest, reliable and detailed reviews of guitar pickups, electric guitars & equipment and special interviews

Offline kookaburra

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2024, 01:37:27 PM »
Looking forward to that nientui!

Offline nienturi

• AlNiCo IV Zone
    • View Profile
    • Tone Journey
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2024, 12:23:35 AM »
Looking forward to that nientui!
I'm looking forward, too :) It's been straight 12 years since the last time i'd played an Air Norton and all of my experience depends on its in the neck position. I deleted everything i know about AN and looking for its potential for moderate output bridge humbucker.
Everything and everyone about the Guitar; Honest, reliable and detailed reviews of guitar pickups, electric guitars & equipment and special interviews

Offline gregr

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2024, 03:00:56 AM »
The output is on par with that of a PAF. I tried one with an HFH in the neck but couldn’t gel with it. It was really lean and devoid of growl when compared to other pickups with similar output. I found it to be bright, but I think unbalanced is a more apt description. I only tried it in one guitar so take it with a grain of salt. If I were to give it another go it would be in an HSS configuration.

I’m looking forward to your review.
Areas 58/61/67/Hot T, VV 54P/B/HB2, InjN. FT1&2, Satch Track. Corgan & Timmons sets.
BNIB, PAF Pro, HFH, Air Norton, LiquiFire, EJ Neck, V Mini N&B
Duncan SSL-2&6T, Lil Demon, JBJrN, HotRailN. 59, Jazz/APH & Full Shred sets. JB, Customs_2/5/Ceramic, Seymourizer II, Screamin’ Demon
Various hybrids

Offline nienturi

• AlNiCo IV Zone
    • View Profile
    • Tone Journey
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2024, 12:42:32 AM »