DiMarzio in the neighborhood of the Sh-5 Custom?

• 4 Replies

Offline mononoaware

• View Profile
DiMarzio in the neighborhood of the Sh-5 Custom?
« on: September 04, 2016, 03:09:34 PM »
Which DiMarzio(s) would you place in the same neighborhood as the SH-5 Custom -- i.e. a bigger PAF-like with a ceramic-type attack, responsive to volume, and a broad frequency spread? I love the Custom's chunk and pick attack, and find its versatility really appealing.

Under consideration (but pitch outside the box if I'm missing something!):
* Titan
* Dominion
* Illuminator
* Transition
* Gravity Storm (might be way off on this one)

Just to head off the obvious "Well, just get a Custom" comments: I already have a Custom in this guitar (JS1000, trem basswood Ibby), but it isn't meshing well with the Evo neck. The Custom is going to go in another guitar, and I'd like to match brands with the Evo.

Thanks in advance!

Offline buddroyce

• *Fake VIP*
  • Administrator
  • Founder
    • View Profile
    • BRL Guitarworks
Re: DiMarzio in the neighborhood of the Sh-5 Custom?
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2016, 06:32:35 PM »
The Gravity Storm and Transition aren't too close to the Custom. The Gravity Storm would be a bit crunchier and the Transition is bigger and fatter with fuzzier top end.

The Titan and the Illuminator may be your best bets. It's been a while since I used a SH-5 (even though I have one in my parts box).
Founder - DiMarzioForum.Com
Follow me on Twitter

Offline DarthPhineas

• View Profile
    • Darth Phineas Guitar Gear Reviews
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2016, 06:51:21 PM »
The Gravity Storm and Transition aren't too close to the Custom. The Gravity Storm would be a bit crunchier and the Transition is bigger and fatter with fuzzier top end.

The Titan and the Illuminator may be your best bets. It's been a while since I used a SH-5 (even though I have one in my parts box).

Im with Budd on those. With the Titan, and the Illuminator quite probably being good choices. I'd lean a bit more toward the Illuminator set.
Gear Reviews   |  Facebook   |   Twitter   |   Instagram

Offline mononoaware

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2016, 07:16:27 PM »
That's good input. I honestly had been ignoring the Illuminator, mainly for my own stupid reasons (I'm not a fan of Petrucci's style, and sometimes it's hard to separate the tones from the playing). But the reviews I've read have me coming around some; it sounds like it might be more versatile than I originally thought.

Any thoughts on the difference in pick attack between the Illuminator and the Titan? That's the thing I dig like most about the Custom -- the pick attack is very present but not at all spiky.

Offline DarthPhineas

• View Profile
    • Darth Phineas Guitar Gear Reviews
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2016, 08:28:45 PM »
That's good input. I honestly had been ignoring the Illuminator, mainly for my own stupid reasons (I'm not a fan of Petrucci's style, and sometimes it's hard to separate the tones from the playing). But the reviews I've read have me coming around some; it sounds like it might be more versatile than I originally thought.

Any thoughts on the difference in pick attack between the Illuminator and the Titan? That's the thing I dig like most about the Custom -- the pick attack is very present but not at all spiky.

My thoughts between the two would be that the Titan set has a very fast/tight response....and that the Illuminator set has an overall similar vibe, but a slightly more open and organic character.  They are both far more versatile than would be expected from the artists association, which also had me waiting a while to check them out.

When it comes to pick attack, some players address that with their selection of picks, or....wait for it....their pick attack. ;-)
Gear Reviews   |  Facebook   |   Twitter   |   Instagram