Modern pickup set for a strat type guitar

• 2 Replies

Offline Kashran

• View Profile
Modern pickup set for a strat type guitar
« on: June 01, 2017, 01:12:57 PM »
Hi everyone !

I'm new here, and I have some question for a futur project that I have in mind.

I'm planning to buy a "modern" strat, but with an SSS set. I think I'm going to buy the new Chapman ML1 Traditional : SSS configuration, ash body and maple neck. I want a more modern strat but with some touch of the classic design (no floyd rose for exemple), so I think it's a good choice for me.

I already have guitars with EMG 85 in bridge, Duncan Black Winter, and an OLP axis with a EVH Wolfgang pickup in the bridge position. I miss a classic strat, because it's just perfect whenever I play one (especially my father's one :) ).

I'm planning to play all kind of stuff with this guitar : Heavy metal (Iron maiden), and some more "modern" stuff, like Times of Grace, Tool or Toska. So ... Heavy Metal, a little bit of modern metal (for the Times Of Grace influence) with some big touch of Ambient / Progressive style. I love the sound of Adrian Smith in the modern album, like the riff of paschendale before the solo part, or the Starblind main riff for exemple.

I know that I can't reach the exact same sound of all of these bands, but I'm not very demanding. I mean, I can play a lot of clean stuff with my OLP with the Wolfgang pickup, and for me it sounds great.
I like the sound of the JB that my father have in his Hamer, it's beautiful, but it doesn't have the power I need and doesn't "chug" enough for me. And I want something fatter than that.

For now, I think I'm going with this setup :

- Fast Track 2 (bridge)
- Fast Track 1 (middle)
- Chopper (neck)

This guitar have 250K pots for tone and volume. I will start from here, and if the sound seems to be too muddy, I will try 500K.

What do you think ?

In case, I play with a Blackstar HT 5R and I use a Maxon OD808X for all my overdrive sound.

Also, I'm french ... sorry for my poor English !

I really appreciate any help you can provide !   :)
« Last Edit: June 01, 2017, 01:17:33 PM by Kashran »

Offline DarthPhineas

• View Profile
    • Darth Phineas Guitar Gear Reviews
Re: Modern pickup set for a strat type guitar
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2017, 04:36:42 PM »
You want something more powerful and fatter than a JB but in a single coil size?

Maybe Fast Track 2, the BC, the Super D S, the TZ S
Gear Reviews   |  Facebook   |   Twitter   |   Instagram

Offline Kashran

• View Profile
Re: Modern pickup set for a strat type guitar
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2017, 02:48:41 AM »
Yeah, I believe the FT 2 is the best, at the moment.

I do some research, and the FT 2 seems to be the best of those pickups.

What I need, is the  possibility to play Heavy metal (Iron Maiden, particulary Adrian Smith), and more modern stuff, and the possibility of Ambient / progressive sound. The End Of Eternity of Times of Grace or Where the Spirit Leads Me, is in my mind actually :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3QOM49tZfTE (for the ambient sound)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdLcfoSPxhs (for the modern metal sound)

But like I said, I don't want to reproduce exactly the same sound of Iron Maiden or Times Of Grace : If the FT 2 have a fat sound, not too harsh, not too muddy and with power, clarity and definition, it's perfect !  :)