Chimey Humbuckers?

• 5 Replies

Offline jos

• View Profile
Chimey Humbuckers?
« on: September 27, 2020, 06:39:44 PM »
I love how these pickups sound, so chimey and open sounding.

unfortunately these are not available as an aftermarket pickup... does anyone know pickups that sound similar to them?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFs-IH5OTFk
« Last Edit: September 27, 2020, 06:48:15 PM by jos »

Offline HarlowTheFish

• View Profile
Re: Chimey Humbuckers?
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2020, 06:49:41 PM »
If you can find the pickups out of a Strandberg Classic 6 (HSS though), they were designed by Michael Frank Braun, the same guy who did the Guthrie pickups. A bit warmer and fatter, but the same kind of vibe and feel.

If you just want something similar sounding, the Kiesel Lithiums get closeish, but they're hotter and more aggressively bright than chimey. The Kiesel Berilliums are gonna be more similar as the the GG pickups as far as output and aggression, but they'll be a bit warmer. Other than that, get lucky finding a Guthrie set on Ebay? They're great pickups so nobody wants to sell, but you might get lucky.

Offline jos

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2020, 06:53:40 PM »
I will check out those kiesels, thanks a lot for the suggestion!

Offline darkbluemurder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2020, 02:58:48 AM »
Difficult to say how much the pickups contribute to the overall tone in this video. The guitar may be bright to begin with, and amp settings may also have an influence.

The neck pickup is definitely very chimey, and that is rare. I doubt I can get that chime with the Bluesbucker - maybe I can with the guitar that has the Duncan Full Shred neck in it but that guitar is bright as well.

For the bridge pickup, anything with a PAF tonality and a bit more output should get in the ballpark.

Never tried a Kiesel pickup. I have an older Carvin in my parts box but that one is everything but chimey.

Cheers Stephan
Area 67, Area 58, Area 61, VV Pro 54, Injectors, VV HB2, Virtual Solo, SDS-1, Area T, Area Hot T, Area T 615, Virtual Hot T, Chopper T, Bluesbucker, Breed set, Air Norton, Super Distortion, DLX+ set, DLX-90, DP240, DP198, DP168, VPAF b, AT-1, Mo' Joe, FRED, Super 2; GS b

Offline darkbluemurder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2020, 02:41:37 AM »
BTW an easy and inexpensive way to get more brightness out of a humbucker is to wire the coils in parallel instead of in series. However, if you leave it at that you will find that it is now too bright in most cases. But if you add a 470k resistor in parallel with a small cap (0.001 to 0.0033uf) from the hot output to ground tames any excessive brightness (thanks to RayBarbeeMusic for this idea). I just did that on a guitar which had an 80s OBL L500 XL in the bridge which had way too much output and distorted almost anything it was plugged into.

Cheers Stephan
Area 67, Area 58, Area 61, VV Pro 54, Injectors, VV HB2, Virtual Solo, SDS-1, Area T, Area Hot T, Area T 615, Virtual Hot T, Chopper T, Bluesbucker, Breed set, Air Norton, Super Distortion, DLX+ set, DLX-90, DP240, DP198, DP168, VPAF b, AT-1, Mo' Joe, FRED, Super 2; GS b

Offline Guitar74

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2020, 11:25:58 AM »
I would hazard a guess that the amp was set pretty bright (possibly with the bright switch on). I think there are a few more things coming into play than just the pickups. I have played a Govan signature and found it to be, for lack of a better term, "balanced". At least through what I played it through in person.
If you're having one of those days where everyone is on your case and is just getting on your nerves, it's probably not everyone else