DiMarzio for my Ibanez RG550

• 5 Replies

Offline EPV5150

• View Profile
DiMarzio for my Ibanez RG550
« on: December 20, 2016, 07:57:41 AM »
Hi guys,

I am new here. I have an Ibanez RG550 20th with Gravity Storm in the bridge and Liquifire in the neck. I want to replace them. These pickups has too much middle to my taste.... I have an Ibanez Jem 7VWH with Evolution and I love these pickups.

I am looking a pickup with more treble, less middle.. and of course, high output.
Any suggestions? I thought to buy the Steve's Special.

Thanks!!  8)

Offline darkbluemurder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: DiMarzio for my Ibanez RG550
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2016, 11:34:25 AM »
Hi and welcome.

I am afraid I am not much of help here but Gravity Storm/Liquifire and Evolutions are probably the opposite ends of the tonal spectrum. I am not too much into high output pickups. The only two I currently have from the DiMarzio range are the Steve Morse bridge and the Super Distortion. Both have enough highs but are quite fat in the midrange.

Never played the Steve's Special but I own the DLX Plus Bridge which is supposed to be the same pickup in P90 form factor. I wrote a review in the "Everything ..." section. I would not say it is scooped but it is a very warm tone. It is also not that high output - at least it does not feel like it. I liked it but after a while I thought the guitar it was in needed something more aggressive - and I put in a JB which suited the guitar much better. Keep in mind that this was the only guitar I ever liked the JB in. 

Hopefully the guys here with more experience with the high output models will chime in.

Cheers Stephan
Area 67, Area 58, Area 61, VV Pro 54, Injectors, VV HB2, Virtual Solo, SDS-1, Area T, Area Hot T, Area T 615, Virtual Hot T, Chopper T, Bluesbucker, Breed set, Air Norton, Super Distortion, DLX+ set, DLX-90, DP240, DP198, DP168, VPAF b, AT-1, Mo' Joe, FRED, Super 2; GS b

Offline jazzfromhell

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2016, 05:33:57 AM »
If you want less mids and high output you could try the D-Activators in the bridge and neck OR Super Distortion (br) / Super 2 (n). I love the last combo; its epic for shredding. D-Act (br) + Super 2 is also a very cool combo.

Offline daenius

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2016, 07:18:43 AM »
I find evolutions to have plenty of mid actually, but they are bright so you don't typically perceive them as mid heavy

But if you want scoopy sounding pickups you can look into these:

Dimarzio (most aren't scoopy but have more treble than Gravity Storm): D Activator, X2N, Super 2, Evo 2, Steve's Special

Seymour Duncan: JB, Custom 5, Custom

Offline finest1

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2016, 11:34:49 AM »
hi

it really depends on what style of music you play. you'd find that the dimarzio pickups are quite powerful. high output don't always mean better sounding pickups. for example, the FRED (joe satriani) pickups are medium output, but with the right overdrive pedal or distortion pedal still sounds heavy. conversely i've played evoultions through a mesa boogie on full gain and sounded heavy.

going back to your questions, i personally have these in my ibanez guitars:

tone zone (b) air norton (N)

breed (B) breed (N) matching set

evolution (1st gen) in bridge and neck

super 3 in jackson PC1 bridge

super distortion in BC rich bridge

good luck!

Offline Chiliphil1

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2016, 10:06:05 PM »
FWIW I've got the crunch lab in my 1570 and absolutely love it. Very thick and bassy pickup but it absolutely slays through my recto.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk