VPAF Neck or...?

• 2 Replies

Offline EOSmith98

• View Profile
VPAF Neck or...?
« on: December 09, 2016, 04:52:15 AM »
Hello all!

Later this month I should (emphasis on the should, by which I mean "I just might if I'm lucky") have enough money to buy a Virtual PAF Neck pickup I found, for my PRS SE Custom 245 (which already has the Virtual PAF bridge installed), or I would also be open to another pickup. I absolutely love my VPAF bridge, but I'm not sure about the neck. I am looking for something MUCH brighter than the stock SE bass humbucker (I think that's what it is), with an output that will match well with the bridge. I was directed to the Bluesbucker, which is supposed to sound like a P90, and has also received stellar reviews on this forum for what I am looking for, but for that my question would be if it is low enough in output to match with the VPAF bridge? Thanks!

Offline darkbluemurder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: VPAF Neck or...?
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2016, 04:59:53 AM »
Difficult question as I have never played a Virtual PAF, only the Virtual HOT PAF, and that one not in combination with the Bluesbucker or even in the same guitar. I used the Bluesbucker in the neck spot in combination with the Chopper T and the AT-1 (in different guitars). Both bridge pickups were a good match to the Bluesbucker in the neck, both volume and tone wise.

Did you ever play a Les Paul with a PAF set (not necessarily original ones from the 50s)? These pickups were either identical for both positions or the bridge pickup was just a bit hotter wound (say 8.2k vs. 7.5k of the same wire). If you did and were not bothered by the bridge pickup being much brighter than the neck pickup, then the combination VPAF bridge/Bluesbucker neck would likely work for you. But if you were thinking, that bridge pickup is just too bright or the neck pickup is too dark (depending on the amp settings), then you would either want a hotter bridge or a brighter neck pickup.

Cheers Stephan
Area 67, Area 58, Area 61, VV Pro 54, Injectors, VV HB2, Virtual Solo, SDS-1, Area T, Area Hot T, Area T 615, Virtual Hot T, Chopper T, Bluesbucker, Breed set, Air Norton, Super Distortion, DLX+ set, DLX-90, DP240, DP198, DP168, VPAF b, AT-1, Mo' Joe, FRED, Super 2; GS b

Offline EOSmith98

• View Profile
Re: VPAF Neck or...?
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2016, 08:36:15 AM »
I actually have not gotten to play a Les Paul with PAF's in it, or even nice PAF style pickups (to my knowledge). I understand the difference in output common with them, and personally I am not a fan of this, but I am one to adjust pickup height anyways. I suppose either way I could work around the volume difference. Although at this point in time, it's looking like a moot point anyways as I now have to figure out how to fly my gear (guitar, pedalboard and combo amp) with only a flight case for my guitar (heading back to college in early January). I may just buy a cheap tube or hybrid amp and have it shipped there. Anyways, I actually prefer having my neck and bridge pickups with the same (or similar) output, so I can switch between them without having to adjust my volume knob for the same volume/gain level. And when I do have the neck pickup at the right height, I want one that is kind of bright and single coil/p-90-esque.