IBanez RG7620 Stock Pickups

• 3 Replies

Offline ChevellePark

• View Profile
IBanez RG7620 Stock Pickups
« on: December 23, 2015, 05:47:22 PM »
My opinion isn't in the majority but I always really liked the 'New 7' Pickups that were the stock pups in the RG7620. An RG7620 is hard to come by, and whenever you find a listing for an older Guitar, the pups have been replaced and the seller doesn't have the originals. And I've only ever seen one listing of New 7s that have since been sold.

A lot of people think that the 7620 had Blaze pickups but just from hearing them and what people have said, the 7620 definetly had the 'New 7s'.

I was wondering what pickup combinations you would suggest as an alternative, something that's similar in tone. They don't have to be pickups that are still in production, as long as they aren't hard to come by. 6 or 7 String, as I have both.

Thanks in advance!

Offline DarthPhineas

• View Profile
    • Darth Phineas Guitar Gear Reviews
Re: IBanez RG7620 Stock Pickups
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2015, 12:03:53 PM »
The original Blaze pickups came with my Ibby Universe when I first got it back in 1990 (or 1991...whenever it was first out. lol!). I grew to not care for them as much. I'd read about when the Blaze Custom came out and was interested, but I just never seemed to get around to trying one until more recently.

Less compressed and more even tone. It helped me want to get back to playing my 7-string more. I got into it more here ( https://www.facebook.com/darthphineas/posts/733424513420200 ), but the short version is that while the DCR is up around 16k, the output is a little less than the 20k regular Blaze and the asymmetrical coils help open it up.

There are way more 7-string options out there than when I first got my Universe, so I'm looking forward to hearing more about the  New 7 you referenced.
Gear Reviews   |  Facebook   |   Twitter   |   Instagram

Offline ChevellePark

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2015, 03:40:11 PM »
The original Blaze pickups came with my Ibby Universe when I first got it back in 1990 (or 1991...whenever it was first out. lol!). I grew to not care for them as much. I'd read about when the Blaze Custom came out and was interested, but I just never seemed to get around to trying one until more recently.

Less compressed and more even tone. It helped me want to get back to playing my 7-string more. I got into it more here ( https://www.facebook.com/darthphineas/posts/733424513420200 ), but the short version is that while the DCR is up around 16k, the output is a little less than the 20k regular Blaze and the asymmetrical coils help open it up.

There are way more 7-string options out there than when I first got my Universe, so I'm looking forward to hearing more about the  New 7 you referenced.

http://youtu.be/6KigXdVgUj0

It's hard to come by a demo with these pups as most people tend to replace them (which is mind boggling) and the audio is recorded with a low quality camera. The video linked is a very high quality recording of the New 7s in the 7620, distorted... If they somehow aren't, I want whatever is in that guitar, haha. But they definetly sound like 'em and the uploader didn't say if the pickups were replaced.

There are a few decent demos of them clean.

As far as I know, the New 7s were designed by DiMarzio for Ibanez. A while back on another site, someone had e-mailed or stumbled upon a statement by DiMarzio saying the pickups weren't Blazes and the stock pups were similar to the Super Distortion and Super Distortion 2. Which... mehhh... You be the judge.

Hopefully somebody will be kind enough to sell their set because I have wanted them for so long.

Offline buddroyce

• *Fake VIP*
  • Administrator
  • Founder
    • View Profile
    • BRL Guitarworks
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2016, 08:07:24 PM »
I get this feeling you might like the Crunch Lab 7 and Liquifire 7 set or the Super Distortion 7 and PAF7 set.
Founder - DiMarzioForum.Com
Follow me on Twitter