DimarzioForum.Com > Gear Closet

Picking Picks (picks, not pickups)

<< < (2/3) > >>

Mail2JackButler:
Lately I've been using a V pick medium that is actually 2.75mm

greenlion:
I've added a few more to my growing collection. I'm really liking the larger Triangle Tortex Picks. They really help highlight downward pick-slanting while shredding and if you wear out one tip, you still have two more tips. I've been using them for bass as well.

Rob (I guess??) from Rob's String Shack, who I've been getting these multipacks from, sent me a couple of extra picks to try. The Glow-in-the-dark D'Addario picks made by Planet Waves are very slick on the strings. Very low friction and very fast. The gripping surface is one of the slickest of any of the picks too, so that might not be great when sweating on a hot stage.

One that has quickly become one of my favorites is the D'Addario Duragrip line. When shredding, I actually hold a little too low on the picks for the molded-in grip surface to do much good, but I really like the material. It is very similar to the Tortex, maybe just a hair stiffer, and you can get thicker versions of it than you can in the Dunlop Tortex line. If you were chugging away at metal or strumming chords this would offer the best grip surface I've felt.

My least favorite out of all the picks is the D'Addario Cortex pick. It has a loud clicking sound when shredding and at the same time it is really sticky feeling when leaving the string (not the grip, but the string release). It feels really slow, and I feel like the pick is struggling to roll over the string and let go.

greenlion:
I know this is a zombie thread, but I though you guys might be interested in hearing the inherent sound of different pick material in these videos.

https://youtu.be/3CZNsXE4zmk

https://youtu.be/fX-zB4j-CXs

Slartibartfarst:
I use Dunlop Max Grip Jazz III carbon fibre picks and have done for a while now. The grip is excellent and they take forever to wear out. Actually, I don't think I've ever actually worn one out, I've only replaced them due to loss.

musiker01:
After using a lot of different picks over the decades i ended up with the Dunlop Ultex Sharp 1.14mm. Everything above that being to thick for my taste.

But: lately i found to be my favorite picks the Planet Waves Celluglo 1.25 mm (a thickness i never see by any other brand?). Really good grip and a warm tone which combines the best of the Ultex Sharp and the Dunlop Tortex.

Video soon to follow.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version