PAF 59 Set

• 41 Replies

Offline Mark

• View Profile
Re: PAF 59 Set
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2017, 04:38:49 PM »
Come on daddy-o. It's only been a day.

Fair enough. I'm super keen to know, have been waiting like 6 months to hear players opinion on these so not fair to put all that on you.

Sorry dude.

Offline DarthPhineas

• View Profile
    • Darth Phineas Guitar Gear Reviews
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2017, 07:37:29 PM »
Come on daddy-o. It's only been a day.

Fair enough. I'm super keen to know, have been waiting like 6 months to hear players opinion on these so not fair to put all that on you.

Sorry dude.

Did swap them in different positions. The product description indicates they are good for that. Plus, original PAFs had no designation for going in one position or another.  In the case of these pups, they do seem more at home in the position they are designed for.

I can say it's hard to know what to expect from something aligned to a PAF or something called 59. People have become much more accustomed to another set from a big name with 59 in it.

On the other hand, I think some people are taking this set as a "shot across the bow" at the boutique types that raise a stink about "vintage" specs and the whole double cream thing.

There is also some noise out there about this set being voiced after Larrys own 59, yet that marketing approach being taken on a previous set.

I do like to take a few days to process things fairly in an even-handed setting. But if you'd like my initial thoughts, I'd prefer to take that somewhere else...you can send me a message via FB if you like.
Gear Reviews   |  Facebook   |   Twitter   |   Instagram

Offline Mark

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2017, 10:43:31 PM »
No probs, I will wait. Better you play them than message me individually.

Like you,  I'm not sure what gap they are trying to fill in the pickup line which is why Im so interested. With the paf 36th, paf master, and air classic most bases seem to be covered. Specs wise is looks a bit like a air classic with a slight midrange bump, or a paf master with the bridge output dialled back, but that does not tell the full story.

I do hope its not a more vintage correct marketing line. I don't buy that, but certainly the whole double cream thing is annoying.

marcwormjim

« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2017, 01:38:23 AM »
The impression the marketing made on me was that, whereas the 36 set is using Larry and Steve's patents to get "modern" pickups to sound like Larry's '59s, this new set shoots for the same goal with "vintage-correct" construction, for no sake other than hitting that market. I'm more interested in seeing the two sets A/B'd than anything.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2017, 01:40:06 AM by marcwormjim »

Offline DarthPhineas

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2017, 07:30:17 AM »
with regard to the PAF Master set, I did buy that one.  how long it took me to pull those from the guitar could have been clocked with an egg timer.

to date, I do very much like the 36th Bridge and the VHPAF.  I find the regular 36th to suit my preference more in the bridge than in the neck.  I've not laid hands on the Virtual PAF yet.

this is in no way an indication on my thoughts of the PAF 59 or the 36th model(s), but it seems there's more marketing toward Larry's 59 Lester.  it'd be interesting to know how many other, if any, 59 Lesters were referenced.  we all pretty much know that it could be a crap shoot as to what one would be and the very next one would be. 

additionally, what were the conditions of the reference and testing if the original pups in Larry's 59 Lester were not dissected?  readings for resistance and inductance?  maybe mV output and capacitance?  testing the magnet for the level of gauss?  what does any of that do toward the actual geometry of the wind?

in all fairness to the MANY scores of PAF enthusiasts out there, the original PAFs weren't scatterwound.  and it's very probably that these magnets came from a different foundry than the ones from 59.  and then back to the designation of a bridge model and a neck model.  and on and on.

there will simply not be a way to appease the more fanatical PAF crowd unless it's wound on a period-correct winder, using magical wire from that era that's been stored in a unicorn's mane.

I think someone that has a cheap import guitar with the cheap import pups will be OK.  the cork-sniffers paying over $3k for a LP and develop the confidence bias that justifies a $600 set of boutique pups... those guys will be throwing stones.

Offline greenlion

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2017, 10:40:33 AM »
...and.....

Offline DarthPhineas

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2017, 04:57:10 PM »

Offline greenlion

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2017, 09:46:46 PM »
Ok. I'll be the first one to say it. I don't think you actually have a set. You aren't acting like a person who has actually tried them. You are acting like someone who has made a claim they cannot back up... Prove me wrong.... :P

Offline DarthPhineas

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2017, 10:59:00 AM »
Proof has been there.

Anyone with a few brain cells to rub together can see mine.

Offline greenlion

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2017, 12:45:16 PM »
Nice CLAIM. Still no evidence for it... :P

Offline BartOfDarkness

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2017, 01:33:19 AM »

Since when have we needed to prove that we have certain pickups? He wants some time with the product before he writes his review, that doesn't seem too unreasonable to me...

Offline Schneidas

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2017, 07:37:48 AM »
with regard to the PAF Master set, I did buy that one.  how long it took me to pull those from the guitar could have been clocked with an egg timer.
Care to elaborate? Would love to hear your impressions on the PAF Master set and what it was you did not like about them

Offline DarthPhineas

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2017, 08:20:11 AM »
Since when have we needed to prove that we have certain pickups? He wants some time with the product before he writes his review, that doesn't seem too unreasonable to me...

it's cool Bart, although I dig your comment and appreciate the positive vibe.

some people still aren't over that time that that cute girl in 4th grade asked them to pass the ketchup in the lunch room, only to see Tommy (capt of the football team) take her to prom 8 years later.  or maybe he's just confused as to why Taylor Swift suddenly went to an online blackout just as he figured out how he'd only have to pay $1 to grab her ass.

either way, what he's asked for has been online for about a week.  but... the whole '2 brain cells' barrier.

Care to elaborate? Would love to hear your impressions on the PAF Master set and what it was you did not like about them

they came off as dry and flat.  definitely "throaty", as described.  but not so much as "dynamic", also as described.  the voicing seemed to almost choke out any potential for the character expected from the product description.  in retrospect, I think the UOA5 in the neck could have been a lot of the issue.

I've sent custom winds back to get tweaked, but I think the PAF Master set is the first production set from any company that I found no use for in my personal collection.  which is to say, that if I'm paying for them, I go after pickups that appeal to me and that I'd want to keep.

and they sound fine in the Gilbert demo.  of course, when does Gilbert not make something sound great?  it appears that plenty of players dig them, and that's all that matters.

Offline greenlion

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 21, 2017, 09:23:49 PM »

Oh C'mon. Anyone who had the pickups would have posted a "first impressions" review by now. Its not like you can't change your mind or add to your opinions later. I could install a new set of pickups and give you are run down of my impressions of their tone in 30 minutes... unless I didn't actually have the pickups...  ;)

Offline Bucksears

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 22, 2017, 10:18:40 AM »
Given the number of reviews on his site, I don't doubt he probably already has a set of the PAF 59s.
It's just been a bit of a tease - we all know we gearheads aren't patient when it comes to waiting for reviews on new stuff.   8)