74 les paul custom

• 3 Replies

Offline w2dodge

• View Profile
74 les paul custom
« on: September 14, 2017, 09:28:59 PM »
thinking about having sweetwater set up my gibson...it just sits in the case..it has a buzz goes out of tune..feed back..im second owner i bought it from the original owner..had frets replaced many years ago..and tuner also...i wish it would play like my 98 classic l.p...some questions:
     should i trust sweetwater?...do they do good work?..i will change out the pickups...what to use in bridge and neck??...im stuck in the 80s..thats what i like to play..thanks

Offline DavidSchwab

• View Profile
74 les paul custom
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2017, 05:46:34 PM »
Your guitar going out of tune is because of how you wrap the strings on the tuning posts. Don’t wrap more than 3 or 4 turns and don’t let the windings overlap.

Then you have to stretch the strings.

The fret buzz probably means you need to adjust the truss rod. This happens with the change of seasons and if you change string gauges or brands, due to the change in tension.

The pickups probably have the covers on them? That and the lack of wax potting is why they squeal. That’s why we always took the covers off back in the 70s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline darkbluemurder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: 74 les paul custom
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2017, 04:40:06 AM »
I had two Les Paul Customs of the same area, and they had very similar issues.

- pickup feedback: it is correct that the humbuckers used at that time were unpotted and the covers were just soldered on but not waxed. Unfortunately on some models you cannot simply take off the covers as the covers are part of the shielding concept (these are the guitars where the electronics are covered in a can). Taking them off would result in more hum as these guitars do not have a string ground. What you can do in that case is either install a string ground or pot the pickups and dip the covers in wax before putting them back on, or replace the pickups (covered models recommended).
- excessive buzz: some buzz is normal and mostly not heard in the amplified sound. If the buzz comes through amplified, then a set up is needed. It is not too hard to do that. I start with checking the relief of the neck (too little - loosen the trussrod, too much - tighten the trussrod), then I set the action as I like it (may be different on different guitars). If I cannot get the action to my liking without excessive buzz, then further work (fret levelling or even a refret) may be necessary.
- tuning problems: I have had more tuning problems with Les Paul style guitars than with Teles, Strats or PRS type guitars. My guess is that it is the string angle over the nut that causes the problems. The only thing you can do about it is to keep the nut well lubricated and also do not screw that tailpiece down too far.

As regards Sweetwater - I have never dealt with them as I am in Europe.

Good luck,
Stephan
Area 67, Area 58, Area 61, VV Pro 54, Injectors, VV HB2, Virtual Solo, SDS-1, Area T, Area Hot T, Area T 615, Virtual Hot T, Chopper T, Bluesbucker, Breed set, Air Norton, Super Distortion, DLX+ set, DLX-90, DP240, DP198, DP168, VPAF b, AT-1, Mo' Joe, FRED, Super 2; GS b

Offline w2dodge

• View Profile
Re: 74 les paul custom
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2017, 05:59:40 PM »
thanks guys.. i took the covers off the pickups...and then put some playdoe between the p.u. and cover  ..and squeezed the cover on the pickup and re solder ..it work very well...as far as the buzz..im gonna tackle it my self...