6 string version of Blaze?

• 6 Replies

Offline markdminer

• View Profile
    • facebook.com/markdminer
6 string version of Blaze?
« on: September 27, 2016, 04:37:58 PM »
Loving the results with Blaze pups in my 7 string Prestige guitars. So much to wonder if there is a six string pup with similar character? Would be going into USA Jacksons. Both alder, neck through, floyd, tuned to D standard. Metal/shred. Ive heard Steve's Special is pretty close? Thoughts/advice?

Offline jazzfromhell

• View Profile
Re: 6 string version of Blaze?
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2016, 01:48:50 AM »
Yup, Steves Special is the closest. Very scooped in the mids, it didnt work for me at all.

Offline greekdude

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2016, 10:29:42 AM »
IMHO blazes work with well with woods which pronounce mids, such as basswood. With alder you'd want a pup with louder mids.

Offline markdminer

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2016, 04:42:02 PM »
Def need the pronounced mids. In my research Evolutions are looking promising?

Offline DarthPhineas

• View Profile
    • Darth Phineas Guitar Gear Reviews
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2016, 06:52:34 PM »
Pulled the Blaze bridge out of my 1990 Ibby Universe and put a Blaze Custom in its place. Best thing I could have done for that guitar. Makes me want to play it more again.
Gear Reviews   |  Facebook   |   Twitter   |   Instagram

Offline jazzfromhell

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2016, 02:06:05 AM »
Def need the pronounced mids. In my research Evolutions are looking promising?
Sure. The Evolution has a very distinct upper mid peak that can take you head off depending on the guitar/amp combination. Evo 2, Dominion and Breed are probably better options. If you want to go slightly higher output you can look at the D-Activator or Titan. Mind you, none of these sound at all like the Blaze.
Maybe the Steves Special will work great for you? I mean its not totally without mids, theyre just a bit subdued.

A/B comparison with a Bareknuckle Juggernaut
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0I7dZBYv16E

Rob Balducci. SS in the bridge.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5jzNS8Z_e0

Anothe with SS in the bridge.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULF0iPXwOxw

Offline markdminer

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2016, 02:52:44 PM »
EVO 2 looking good now! I've always been a high gain and high out put (EMG) player. My tone is primarily from a 6505+ into 4x12, tuned to D standard and seven strings at standard. The thing that Im experiencing as of late is is a lower output pup with an aggressive amp you hear much more 'personality' in the guitar. Used my USA King V w/ Deactivators (other guitars with active pups glared in jealousy) for a ton of tracking on band's album and it just KILLS. The Deact is def high output but has a 'grit' to it that I like and it's easier to tame in recording applications. For a little tonal diversity that's why I'm thinking a slightly lower pup (EVO 2) and have all the bases covered. Think I'm on the right track.