Gravity Storm vs. Breed and Satch Track vs. Chopper

• 3 Replies

Offline psc69nyc

• View Profile
Gravity Storm vs. Breed and Satch Track vs. Chopper
« on: July 15, 2016, 01:34:47 PM »
Hi. Need some help deciding between these  pickups for my Ibanez basswood maple fretboard RG. Looking for a fat meaty ballsy tone that can do everything from classic rock to 80's hair and early thrash metal.

I recently got to play that new blue floral jem that comes with Gravity Storms. To be honest the bridge seemed a little compressed, but I was playing through a Peavey 6505 in a loud crowded Guitar Center so it was not a honest evaluation. Is the Gravity Storm an updated Breed? I did like the ease of pulling harmonics from the GS.

The Satriani demo of the Satch Track was awesome. I loved the bluesy tones he was getting out of the neck. How different is the Chopper from the Satch track?

Thanks to all for any advice or suggestions.

Offline jazzfromhell

• View Profile
Re: Gravity Storm vs. Breed and Satch Track vs. Chopper
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2016, 02:55:57 PM »
I havent tried the GS yet but heres my take on the Satch Track vs Chopper (copied from another thread):

This was my first impression of the Satch Track:

"I have a Transition in the bridge, and the guitar is a basswood H-S Ibanez. I previously had a Chopper in the neck and while I like it Im always looking for more brightness and cut from the neck pickup so I wanted to try something different, and the ST is a tiny tad brighter but its not night and day. (Just for reference I find the Air Norton S for example to be unuseable; way WAAY too dark for me...I could barely hear the notes on the top strings when I was using it, they were so dark).
My initial impression is that the ST and Chopper are darn close. It pretty much feels the same to play as the Chopper, gain- and compression-wise, maybe the ST has a tad cleaner bottom end.  Ill post a longer review when Ive spent some serious time with it. "

Now after Ive spent some serious time with it....

...I feel pretty much the same about it. Its close to the Chopper but has a litte less compression and is a tiny bit leaner in the bass. Its really hard to put my finger on why (and im not great at expressing my views and feelings in words unfortunately) but I like it more than the Chopper. Maybe its psychological :)
It feels/sounds cleaner and jucier somehow, and it sounds great in parallel. Like a true SC? No, but close enough for me.

I have to say it's a PERFECT pairing with the Transition in a H-S guitar and a 5-way switch. It does pretty much everything.

Offline psc69nyc

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2016, 12:49:42 PM »
Thanks Jazz From Hell. great insights on the Satch Track. Juicy is the perfect adjective for the tones I was hearing in the Satriani demo.

Offline jazzfromhell

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2016, 01:35:43 PM »
Yeah give it try if you can. Im sure you´ll like it.