Need Pickup selection help for my 2 main guitars

• 1 Replies

captaindog

Need Pickup selection help for my 2 main guitars
« on: July 14, 2016, 01:58:05 PM »
Hello all,

I have 2 guitars and i am in the process of fitting new dimarzios and i need some help to make the right choice. so....

First guitar is a Musicman Axis Supersport PDN edition with Vintage Tremolo bridge which has an Alder body with Maple top and Maple neck/Fretboard. This guitar has the original Custom Dimarzios but no matter what i tried EQ wise to different amps i am getting a sound which i can describe as jungly especially in the Bridge position when using Gain. I think it seems to do with the high frequencies that Alder has. Its like you can here some artifacts in the upper register of the Frequency spectrum that i can t tame nomatter how i tried to....For this guitar i am thinking to install a Dimarzio Breed Set which i know that it tames the upper frequencies and smooths the highs. Any other reccomendations for this kind of guitar?

Second Guitar is a Yamaha RSP20CR Revstar Japan. It has a mahogany Body with maple top, Mahogany neck with Rosewood fingerboard. Now for this guitar i am between the 36th Anniv, Set or the PAF Masters Set. Which one of those sets will sound fuller, more meaty, throaty with the most classic Paf Vibe? I am considering also a mix of the 2 sets so feel free to suggest. Please note that the yamaha also has a dry switch that when activated by pulling the tone knob it takes out some bass of the selected pickup and gives it a single coil vibe but with the fullness of a humbucker.

Thanks in advance  for your help....

Offline darkbluemurder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Need Pickup selection help for my 2 main guitars
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2016, 03:39:17 AM »
Hi,

for the first guitar the Breed set should work for what you want.

For the second guitar, I cannot comment on the pickups mentioned since I have not played any of them yet but I can recommend the Virtual Hot PAF for the bridge (the predecessor to the 36th Anniversary bridge). While it is no longer part of the DiMarzio line they frequently turn up on ebay either used or as surplus stock.

Good luck,
Stephan
Area 67, Area 58, Area 61, VV Pro 54, Injectors, VV HB2, Virtual Solo, SDS-1, Area T, Area Hot T, Area T 615, Virtual Hot T, Chopper T, Bluesbucker, Breed set, Air Norton, Super Distortion, DLX+ set, DLX-90, DP240, DP198, DP168, VPAF b, AT-1, Mo' Joe, FRED, Super 2; GS b