Another topic on dimarzio custom wound evh axis b1 and n1 pickups ...

• 15 Replies

jmrckr

This topic is the continuation of the topic here : http://www.dimarzioforum.com/forum/index.php/topic,3710.0.html
I posted a reply but it seems like this conversation is dead. So I'm doing another topic to have some opinions and stuff on experiments and experiences that some of you guys could share :

Hey every one. I'm new on the forum. I don't know if this conversation is still active but ... here I am. I am really obsessed (I know, I'm not the only one) with Van Halen sound, especially the 91'-95' area with musicman/dimarzio gear. I want to wind a set of replicas of those musicman axis pickups. (I'm not working for a big pickup company or anything like that, I'm just a guy that really loves to experiment with guitar gear) So, here is what I got : (please, don't be shocked or mad about what I say or whatever, we are just talking)

Thanks Defender2000 for showing a picture of the pickup opened and your DC resistance readings. But I still have some questions .... The spacer under the screw coil is made out of plastic or metal (ferromagnetic material) ? If it is plastic, this means that the pickup is half-aired ... but it looks like its a metallic spacer ? Have you ever removed the same spacer ? What's under it ? Is there anything that looks like vv technology ? Mebay A half vv humbucker wound give that unbalanced tone ? I'm asking thoss questions only to be sure and clear of what are facts, and what are speculations. I know that it does not make sens because EVH signature musicman guitars were made from 1991 to 1995, and the air patent, as well as the vv patent from dimarzio were deposed in 1997. I don't think that dimarzio would produce some pickups with new technologies without a patent. Last question : the DC readings shows that the coils are wound at the same resistance. But is it possible that each coil is wound with a different wire gauge to the same resistance ? (ex: 44 with less wire turns, and 43 with more wire turns). Again, this wound explain the unbalanced humbucker tone.

If anything of what I wrote is not a part of the design of this pickup, then it means that it is too simple and I'm searching waayyy to far.  Mayby it is a Dimarzio interpretation of the famous JB.

Oh, by the way, I did remove the vv poles from a paf 36th anniversary. It is really tricky ... I drilled them with a small drill bit, then I took a wood screw, screwed it just a bit in the hole to make it bite, and pulle the pole out. They are not headless screws ... well for the dp223.

jmrckr

Re: Another topic on dimarzio custom wound evh axis b1 and n1 pickups ...
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2013, 07:55:34 AM »
Come on ! Anybody ? I can't believe that nobody knows nothing more about these pickups !??

Offline DarthPhineas

• View Profile
    • Darth Phineas Guitar Gear Reviews
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2013, 11:47:06 AM »
from reading the post in the other thread, it sounds like it might be worth it for you to track down a set and do some reverse engineering on the actual item(s)
Gear Reviews   |  Facebook   |   Twitter   |   Instagram

Offline buddroyce

• *Fake VIP*
  • Administrator
  • Founder
    • View Profile
    • BRL Guitarworks
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2013, 05:31:01 PM »
I actually have a 2nd set of the DiMarzio/EBMM EVH pickups here that I had Steve Blutcher put new wires on for me(they came off an old EBMM EVH).  I can probably take some readings off that but that's about it, given how hard it was to get these I wouldn't want to mess with it.

Seeing that DiMarzio has an exclusivity contract with EBMM for those pickups, it's highly plausible that they did actually use new technology before it was patented in it.
Founder - DiMarzioForum.Com
Follow me on Twitter

Offline Marshall Law

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2013, 01:13:37 PM »
the axis bridge model is 17.3K, uses a alnico 5 magnet and is wound with awg44(poly)
I heard this pu is two screw coils of a tone zone.
the tone zone has two different coils and that what makes it different from the axis which has two exact matching coils.
the axis neck pu is 15K has a alinco 5 magnet and is a airbucker.
it is essentially a hotter wound air norton.
there really s no production dimarzios that are dead on to these, closest is AT-1 in the bridge and a air norton or liquifire in the neck.
best thing to do is get a set from Ebay or i have a set i would sell.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2013, 01:15:45 PM by ed hunter »

jmrckr

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2013, 04:02:36 PM »
Well, honestly I already know all that. I think I would never know otherwise than doing reverse engineering. But that's not the purpose of my project. That being said, if you have a set of axis pickups that you would sell,  I might be interested.

jmrckr

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2013, 04:08:19 PM »
One thing that is really interesting though ... I recently half aired some 9k PAF humbuckers. DAMN ! The feel and the sound of those pickups modified is awesome. Before this mod, they sounded dull, good but not that good you know ... Now, they are sounding soooo great.

Offline DarthPhineas

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2013, 12:53:53 PM »
Just sold a set a week ago. Had them advertised on here. Probably best to look on eBay or a place like that.

Sent from my armored space station using Tapatalk on iPad

Offline DarthPhineas

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2013, 12:56:11 PM »
there really s no production dimarzios that are dead on to these, closest is AT-1 in the bridge and a air norton or liquifire in the neck.

That's interesting, as that's what I put in my EBMM Axis to replace them with. AT-1 bridge and LF neck.

Offline Marshall Law

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2013, 07:05:26 PM »

That's interesting, as that's what I put in my EBMM Axis to replace them with. AT-1 bridge and LF neck.

what differences do you hear between the two sets?

Offline DarthPhineas

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2013, 07:12:26 PM »
both feel a wee bit tighter and focused.  a bit more drive.

Offline Mail2JackButler

• Dimarzio Endorsee
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2013, 12:17:15 PM »
The Timmons bridge and Liquidfire Neck can get you in that territory.. this is my new fave combo.. have it in an alder bodied USA Charvel with a maple 1 piece neck and it is sound nice an open.. a nice vowel tone.. sounds great with some overdrive and a little bit of analog chorus and a dash of tape echo..
"Intelli-Shred" & "Arpeggio Madness" books  available from NGW!
www.guitarworkshop.com/books/guitarbooks/rock/intellishreddillar
DiMarzio Endorsed Artist: Kevin Dillard. Soundclips available at
www.dimarzio.com
www.myspace.com/intellishred
Morley Endorsee
http://www.morleypedals.com/fom.html

Offline 27fretshred

• I have more frets than you!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2013, 09:51:47 AM »
Damn someone had a set of the DiMarzio EBMM Axis pickups for sale and I missed it??!! FML!

Offline Defender2000

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2014, 08:26:47 PM »
Wow. I'm gonna resurrect this thread. I really apologize for missing this thread. A lot has happened in the last couple years since the thread I started. A series of unfortunate events caused me to sell my Axis. So I can't get anymore readings off of it.

When I took apart the Axis bridge pickup, it was not aired and it did not have virtual vintage slugs in it. It has a metal spacer bar along the screw poles with an Alnico 5 magnet butted up against the slug poles.

Just this past weekend, I modified my AT1 pickup. I basically took out the guts in my PAF pro and swapped them with the AT1. Now my paf pro is fully aired with virtual vintage. The AT1 is now completely un-aired with the virtual vintage slugs removed. I'm completely overhauling this guitar, so I have not had a chance to see how it sounds yet.

Removing the virtual vintage slugs was easy. I used a 1/16" bit and drilled a small hole in the middle of each slug and was able to pull them out. I'll try to get some pictures this week of what I did.

So rumor on the street is that an unaired AT-1 with virtual vintage removed is the closest you'll get to an Axis bridge pickup. That's what I have and I can't wait to test it out.

Offline joshsuperdist

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2014, 12:27:44 PM »
Please let us know
Peavey Wolfgang AT-1/AN
Sterling AX40 fender Wolfgang bridge stock neck
Meanstreet Exile 36th ann/V PAF
Peavey 6505+ combo
Marshall JCM 800 combo with EVH greenb