PAF Joe

• 19 Replies

Offline mesa0131

• View Profile
Re: PAF Joe
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2014, 08:52:16 PM »
I used the paf joe in the neck of a 22 fret guitar and a 24 fret guitar and it just didn't have the cut and body I was after. I couldn't get a good sound out of it and it didn't pair well with either a Tonezone or Dsonic. That's when I tried the PAF Pro and fell in love. I recall the Paf Joe feeling squishy and undefined. I was looking for a clear articulate pickup, with quick picking definition.
Fine wines are found in glass bottles, not plastics sacks; As such, so are the finer electrons.

Offline Octacoil

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2020, 11:22:03 AM »
Love the tone but hate the pick attack.

Sounds good in a 21 fret strat. If they could only release a Paf Joe v2 (with more pick attack lols)
7 String: Blaze, Illuminator, IBZ
Humbucker: Breed, Evolution, Fred, Norton, PAF Joe, Humbucker from Hell, PAF Master, CrunchLab, Illuminator, Titan, Transition, Gravity Storm, Dark Matter 2.
Single: Fast Track 2, VV Heavy Blues 2, Injector, ISCV2, HS2, Cruiser
P.S. I only use Dimarzio pickups :P

Offline Senor Budscissors

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2022, 10:07:41 PM »
I bought a paf joe and put it into the neck of my 22 fret Epipone LP, paired with a Dactivator bridge.  It has two sets of adjustable poles.  Recently, adjusting them, optimizing  pickup height, and wiring the pickup in parallel gave a much more vibrant sound.  I definitely recommend using a very small bright cap to keep the delicate overtones if you like doing volume swell.
Super classic rock n roll tone, wired the bridge pu in series so that when I switch from this there is significant volume boost.  This is very much a rhythm guitar pickup.  Everyone was right about pick attack, but I use a heavy pick like .7mm minimum, and I like the amount of definition. very low noise.   The sound was super punchy and clear for leads when I had it in series, and I may add a switch for that later, but I wasn't as happy with that tone as the 10/10 parallel.
PS this would be mud in a fender neck position...  someone already said do not try and I won't.
Early 2000's Korean Epiphone Les Paul
PAF Joe
D Activator Bridge

Offline buddroyce

• *Fake VIP*
  • Administrator
  • Founder
    • View Profile
    • BRL Guitarworks
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2022, 12:20:02 PM »
I bought a paf joe and put it into the neck of my 22 fret Epipone LP, paired with a Dactivator bridge.  It has two sets of adjustable poles.  Recently, adjusting them, optimizing  pickup height, and wiring the pickup in parallel gave a much more vibrant sound.  I definitely recommend using a very small bright cap to keep the delicate overtones if you like doing volume swell.
Super classic rock n roll tone, wired the bridge pu in series so that when I switch from this there is significant volume boost.  This is very much a rhythm guitar pickup.  Everyone was right about pick attack, but I use a heavy pick like .7mm minimum, and I like the amount of definition. very low noise.   The sound was super punchy and clear for leads when I had it in series, and I may add a switch for that later, but I wasn't as happy with that tone as the 10/10 parallel.
PS this would be mud in a fender neck position...  someone already said do not try and I won't.

That's great to know! Thanks for sharing man!
Founder - DiMarzioForum.Com
Follow me on Twitter

Offline HeyNorton!

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2023, 07:21:56 PM »
Okaaaayyyyy, I'm a bit late to the game on this one.

What a freaking neck pickup!

I'll mirror what has been said previously.

1. The attack is somewhat dull.
2. It is a bright pickup
3. It is super sensitive to touch and gain.
4. I've noticed that it has a touch of strat single coil to it.

If you take all of the above points, it works really well for a neck pickup.

The dulled attack offsets and balances the brightness of it. 

It works really well with the mo'joe btw. They are both kinda the same bright, so adjusting eq, tone, gain and guitar volume for one means the other will sound good too.

This is a blues to hard rock pickup without a doubt.
Clean to mid gain, it bright.
With heavy gain, it becomes clear and very smooth/liquidy in that air norton kinda way.

It's not as height sensitive as the mo'joe. That one is interesting.