Pre B-1 or Area T Hot?

• 7 Replies

Offline kookaburra

• View Profile
Pre B-1 or Area T Hot?
« on: February 28, 2023, 12:51:54 PM »
Hello,

I have a new Squier CV Tele on the way.  I’ll play the stock pickups for a while, but I’ve given thought to replacements if I’m not digging it.

I’ve had a great experience with the Chopper T in the past, but I’d like to head in a slightly different direction this time.  This is for the bridge pickup.

I’m considering the Pre B-1 and Area T Hot.  I’ll be playing blues and rock that resembles the crunchier end of The Rolling Stones.  Amps are two Quilter Superblocks (US and UK), and a Rockittretro 50, which is a clone of a 1968 Plexi.

I do want to keep the core sound of a Tele pickup, but with the ability to pull a bit more  Stonesy crunch out of it at a reasonable volume.

Offline gregr

• View Profile
Re: Pre B-1 or Area T Hot?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2023, 02:33:53 PM »
Just going by the descriptions, have you considered the Area T 615? I think it might do a better job with The Rolling Stones than the Area T Hot since there is still is a fair amount of snap and twang. The rest you can probably coax out of your amps and possibly augment with a pedal or two.
Areas 58/61/67/Hot T, VV 54P/B/HB2, InjN. FT1&2, Satch Track. Corgan & Timmons sets.
BNIB, PAF Pro, HFH, Air Norton, LiquiFire, EJ Neck, V Mini N&B
Duncan SSL-2&6T, Lil Demon, JBJrN, HotRailN. 59, Jazz/APH & Full Shred sets. JB, Customs_2/5/Ceramic, Seymourizer II, Screamin’ Demon
Various hybrids

Offline kookaburra

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2023, 03:45:31 PM »
I had not considered the 615.  I see that output wise, it’s between the Area and Area Hot.

Are you thinking that the 615 may provide needed bite/push without overdoing it?
« Last Edit: February 28, 2023, 04:14:19 PM by kookaburra »

Offline gregr

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2023, 04:44:29 PM »
My thinking, based on the description is that it will add a little more grunt but still sound like a traditional telecaster.

I have no experience with DiMarzio Telecaster pickups and some but not much experience with Telecasters in general. So I should re-iterate that I’m going by the descriptions and the numbers that are supplied. If the 615 is akin to the Area 61 and the standard Area is akin to the Area 58, relatively speaking, you should get some more low mids which will make some difference in terms of sounding bigger.  You’ll also get an increase in dynamic range allowing you to drive your amp a little harder when you dig in.

There is no question in my mind that the 615 will sound quite thin in comparison to the Area Hot T. This is why I mentioned the need for a good overdrive in order for the 615 to rock a little harder. Something like an MXR M77 that allows you some control over the low end.

I chimed in because I’m curious about the answers you get and would like to learn more.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2023, 10:16:30 AM by gregr »
Areas 58/61/67/Hot T, VV 54P/B/HB2, InjN. FT1&2, Satch Track. Corgan & Timmons sets.
BNIB, PAF Pro, HFH, Air Norton, LiquiFire, EJ Neck, V Mini N&B
Duncan SSL-2&6T, Lil Demon, JBJrN, HotRailN. 59, Jazz/APH & Full Shred sets. JB, Customs_2/5/Ceramic, Seymourizer II, Screamin’ Demon
Various hybrids

Offline kookaburra

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2023, 02:45:09 PM »
I see where you’re going with this.

No personal  Dimarzio Tele experience here either.  A friend uses the Twang King set, which nails that type of Tele sound.  I’ve used only humbuckers and P90 size humbuckers.

I appreciate the replies!

Offline darkbluemurder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2023, 03:50:20 AM »
I have used (and still do) all of the tele bridge models mentioned, except for the Pre-B1.

Area T - classic telecaster bridge tone
Area 615 T - still classic tele twang but more output. However, if you are going for classic, my vote goes to the Area T.
Area Hot T - still tele like but more mids. If Blues(rock) is what you are shooting for, the Hot T is a good choice.
Chopper T - with the coils in series it does a hot PAF type tone. With the coils in parallel it does the tele twang. If you want versatility out of a tele, that would be the best choice.

Cheers Stephan
Area 67, Area 58, Area 61, VV Pro 54, Injectors, VV HB2, Virtual Solo, SDS-1, Area T, Area Hot T, Area T 615, Virtual Hot T, Chopper T, Bluesbucker, Breed set, Air Norton, Super Distortion, DLX+ set, DLX-90, DP240, DP198, DP168, VPAF b, AT-1, Mo' Joe, FRED, Super 2; GS b

Offline kookaburra

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2023, 11:01:27 AM »
Thanks Stephen!

I actually forgot the fact that I did use a Chopper T about 18 years ago.  I liked it, and your description is on the money.  I also did the series/parallel thing.

Unless someone chimes in regarding a Pre B-1, it looks like the Area Hot T will fit the bill.

Offline kookaburra

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2023, 05:52:03 PM »
Sending the guitar back, so no new Dimarzio Tele pickups for the moment. 

I do have a Super Distortion laying about that’s going into a 1995 Hamer Special FM, so all is not lost!

I appreciate the info.