• 7 Replies

Offline JBerto

• https://audius.co/Berto
    • View Profile
    • Berto's audius.co web page
PAF 36th (Bridge) + PAF Pro (Neck) on a LP
« on: December 21, 2022, 01:54:47 AM »
Hi!
I've a PAF Pro in the neck of a Mahogany LP guitar (sounds great I'm that position!), and I want to switch the bridge position.

My style of music goes from blues to hard rock "and everything in the middle", so I need a versatile pickup who goes well with the PAF Pro in a LP.

I'm thinking in the PAF 36th for the bridge.

What do you think?

Could be a good option???

Thanks!

Offline darkbluemurder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: PAF 36th (Bridge) + PAF Pro (Neck) on a LP
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2022, 03:28:45 AM »
The 36th Anniversary bridge may be a tad too low in output to keep up with the PAF Pro. While this can be corrected by setting the neck pickup low and the bridge pickup high, this solution may not please you if you have the PAF Pro fairly close to the strings.

Slightly higher alternatives in the DiMarzio line would be the Mo Joe, Norton, Air Zone or AT-1, however, the latter two go away from PAF tone significantly.

What have you in your guitar right now and what are you looking for?

Cheers Stephan
Area 67, Area 58, Area 61, VV Pro 54, Injectors, VV HB2, Virtual Solo, SDS-1, Area T, Area Hot T, Area T 615, Virtual Hot T, Chopper T, Bluesbucker, Breed set, Air Norton, Super Distortion, DLX+ set, DLX-90, DP240, DP198, DP168, VPAF b, AT-1, Mo' Joe, FRED, Super 2; GS b

Offline greenlion

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2022, 10:04:08 AM »
Yeah, I don't know if I would do it that way either. I might try the PAF Pro in the bridge and the 36th neck in the neck. Like DBM said, I think the PAF Pro in the neck would overpower the 36th bridge. If you keep the PAF Pro neck, you could go with the Norton Bridge. It balances well in a Les Paul. The Super Distortion would work too if you wanted a more powerful bridge. Maybe the AT-1 as well.
Personally, I have found no pickup combo I like better in a Les Paul than the whole 36th Anniversary set.

Offline gregr

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2022, 10:18:05 AM »
The 36th is not a good pairing.

Have you tried anything since you asked about this a year ago?

https://www.marshallforum.com/threads/paf-pro-in-a-mahogany-lp-guitar-for-moderate-distortion-overdrive-blues-rock-styles.123452/

My comments/suggestions on the subject haven’t changed since then other than to add a Transition Bridge, Fred, Duncan JB and the Duncan ceramic Custom to the current list of what have been very fine recommendations.

I’ll add that the only P.A.F. sounding pickups mentioned in this discussion so far are the 36ths and the Duncan Custom. This includes the PAF Pro, which doesn’t sound like a Patent Applied For pickup either, though I told you this already.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2022, 04:44:24 PM by gregr »
Areas 58/61/67/Hot T, VV 54P/B/HB2, InjN. FT1&2, Satch Track. Corgan & Timmons sets.
BNIB, PAF Pro, HFH, Air Norton, LiquiFire, EJ Neck, V Mini N&B
Duncan SSL-2&6T, Lil Demon, JBJrN, HotRailN. 59, Jazz/APH & Full Shred sets. JB, Customs_2/5/Ceramic, Seymourizer II, Screamin’ Demon
Various hybrids

Offline frankencat

• View Profile
    • Slamo Custom Guitars
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2022, 11:36:17 AM »
Good to see this place is still going!

The 36th (DP103) neck and the Super Distortion (DP100) bridge have been a staple for me in Les Pauls and other guitars where I want that classic sound. The 36th is quite possible my favorite neck pickup of all. And I am a dealer for just about everybody and we wind our own pickups as well. Hard to beat the classic combo.
Owner:
Slamo Custom Guitars
Doc Simons Miracle Guitar Polish
www.slamocustomguitars.com

Offline JBerto

• https://audius.co/Berto
    • View Profile
    • Berto's audius.co web page
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2023, 11:20:52 AM »
The 36th is not a good pairing.

Have you tried anything since you asked about this a year ago?

https://www.marshallforum.com/threads/paf-pro-in-a-mahogany-lp-guitar-for-moderate-distortion-overdrive-blues-rock-styles.123452/

My comments/suggestions on the subject haven’t changed since then other than to add a Transition Bridge, Fred, Duncan JB and the Duncan ceramic Custom to the current list of what have been very fine recommendations.

I’ll add that the only P.A.F. sounding pickups mentioned in this discussion so far are the 36ths and the Duncan Custom. This includes the PAF Pro, which doesn’t sound like a Patent Applied For pickup either, though I told you this already.

Hi!

I'm with the Tonerider Generator in the bridge in this guitar, as I said in the last post of that thread.

Is a nice mix, but now I would like to try something different.

I definitely love the PAF Pro in the neck of my LP.

For my taste, that pickup (PAF Pro) in the neck of this type of guitar (Mahogany LP) must be paired by a pickup with more treble in the bridge, otherwise it would sound too dark (IMHO).

The Tonerider Generator is definitely brighter, but (for my taste) is unusable if you select just the bridge pickup in the selector (is TOO bright alone)... but pair great with PAF Pro in the neck.

So, now I'm thinking of replacing it with a different bright pickup. The replacement must be brighter enough for a LP (but not "too much") and (obviously) with a little more output than the PAF Pro (cause it would be placed in the bridge).

BTW: Someone tried a pair of PAF Pro (neck AND bridge) in a LP?

Offline gregr

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2023, 01:20:21 PM »
I had a PAF Pro in both positions in my 24-fretter. The neck pickup had to be dropped very low, which changes the tone fairly significantly, and not for the better. Further I don’t like the tone of a PAF Pro in the bridge whatsoever. I replaced it with the neck model of The Breed (DP165). I found one used online but you can custom order it. It has a known reputation as being a very good pairing and is plenty bright.

There was some discussion about a PAF-style pickup, probably because you asked about a 36th. If you’re actually interested in a PAF-style pickup that is bright and can stand up to a PAF Pro then the answer isn’t a DiMarzio, IMO. A Seymour Duncan SH-5 Custom will do the job, however. Even if you don’t care either way about a PAF style pickup the SH-5 will still do the job. But I’m just repeating myself.

Based on the specs it looks like the Deactivator Neck might fit the bill, but I haven’t used one and judging based on specs alone isn’t very reliable.
Areas 58/61/67/Hot T, VV 54P/B/HB2, InjN. FT1&2, Satch Track. Corgan & Timmons sets.
BNIB, PAF Pro, HFH, Air Norton, LiquiFire, EJ Neck, V Mini N&B
Duncan SSL-2&6T, Lil Demon, JBJrN, HotRailN. 59, Jazz/APH & Full Shred sets. JB, Customs_2/5/Ceramic, Seymourizer II, Screamin’ Demon
Various hybrids

Offline RayBarbeeMusic

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2023, 04:29:16 PM »
Mo Joe is essentially a 9k PAF with two rows of screws, should work well in that application, but you'll still need to lower the PAF pro probably, and raise the pole pieces.  PAF Pro is fairly hot for a neck position.

Mo Joe is a pickup that doesn't get much attention, but it's very much in the DiMarzio PAF family.  36th bridge, Mo Joe, DiMeola Bridge can all be considered variations on a flavor, kind of all chocolate but the difference is how much coacoa is in your chocolate.  PAF Master is a little farther outside that group, but not much farther.