pup recommendation for new strat build

• 11 Replies

Offline greekdude

• View Profile
pup recommendation for new strat build
« on: December 09, 2022, 02:49:18 PM »
Dear All
my new strat build (HH) is currently wearing a SD livewires set, first generation 18V, 100k pots, classic in the neck, modded metal in the bridge, I added a 100k mini pot in the bridge output at about 25% of the volume. As is now it sounds balanced and nice overall. However compared to my other strat HSH (Dimarzio fast track 2, fast track 1, the chopper) it sounds poor.

So, what the closest DMZ set to Dimarzio Fast Track2 / Chopper , but in full humbucker size? I play rock/metal.  I dont want torching high output, I want nice balanced tone, close to the Fast Track 2 / Chopper, I remember when I had Fast track 1 in the neck it was even nicer, but not too balanced with the bridge.

Offline gregr

• View Profile
Re: pup recommendation for new strat build
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2022, 03:59:50 PM »
I have an FT2 and a Chopper. 

While I don’t own the Gravity Storm set, I’m familiar with the tone and think it might work for you.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2022, 12:34:54 PM by gregr »
Areas 58/61/67/Hot T, VV 54P/B/HB2, InjN. FT1&2, Satch Track. Corgan & Timmons sets.
BNIB, PAF Pro, HFH, Air Norton, LiquiFire, EJ Neck, V Mini N&B
Duncan SSL-2&6T, Lil Demon, JBJrN, HotRailN. 59, Jazz/APH & Full Shred sets. JB, Customs_2/5/Ceramic, Seymourizer II, Screamin’ Demon
Various hybrids

Offline greekdude

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2022, 11:46:03 AM »
I have an FT2 and a Chopper. 

While I don’t own Gravity Storm set, I’m familiar with the tone and think it might work for you.

Thank you! this seems like a great set!

Offline greekdude

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2022, 11:49:05 AM »
I would consider crunch lab and liquifire set.

Offline gregr

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2022, 10:28:02 PM »
I love the LiquiFire but I think the Gravity Storm neck is closer to the Chopper. It has a similar EQ and also has a single coil quality to it as well.

Not the most comprehensive demo but I think it’s worth checking out:

https://youtu.be/D-PAFIjf21A
« Last Edit: December 11, 2022, 10:38:23 PM by gregr »
Areas 58/61/67/Hot T, VV 54P/B/HB2, InjN. FT1&2, Satch Track. Corgan & Timmons sets.
Duncan SSL-2&6T, Lil Demon, JBJrN, HotRailN. 59, Jazz/APH & Full Shred sets. JB, Customs_2/5/Ceramic, Seymourizer II, Screamin’ Demon
Various hybrids

Offline greekdude

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2022, 11:45:29 AM »
I would consider crunch lab and liquifire set.

exactly my thoughts as well!

Offline greekdude

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2022, 11:49:46 AM »
I love the LiquiFire but I think the Gravity Storm neck is closer to the Chopper. It has a similar EQ and also has a single coil quality to it as well.

Not the most comprehensive demo but I think it’s worth checking out:

https://youtu.be/D-PAFIjf21A

tough call!! thanks both for your suggestions!

Offline darkbluemurder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2022, 03:16:03 AM »
I never played a Chopper in the neck position but I played tons of PAF style pickups in various guitars, and the Liquifire does not sound like that. While the lows are fat but still somewhat tight and the midrange is strong, the high end is a bit muted, and that is something I never found with any PAF style pickup.

Cheers Stephan
Area 67, Area 58, Area 61, VV Pro 54, Injectors, VV HB2, Virtual Solo, SDS-1, Area T, Area Hot T, Area T 615, Virtual Hot T, Chopper T, Bluesbucker, Breed set, Air Norton, Super Distortion, DLX+ set, DLX-90, DP240, DP198, DP168, VPAF b, AT-1, Mo' Joe, FRED, Super 2; GS b

Offline gregr

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2022, 10:56:07 AM »
The Chopper makes for an excellent neck pickup, though it sounds nothing like a PAF.

I agree with you on the LiquiFire. It’s probably one of my favorite neck pickups, but I don’t like the style of bridge pickup that can keep up with it. I don’t care for the FT2 either for a similar reason. I like the BC2 though. I kinda wish I still had mine but I’d rather get that kind of tone from a full-sized humbucker. That guitar now has the Chopper in the bridge. Though that is somewhat tangential.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2022, 08:01:39 PM by gregr »
Various hybrids

Offline greekdude

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2022, 12:34:02 AM »
I never played a Chopper in the neck position but I played tons of PAF style pickups in various guitars, and the Liquifire does not sound like that. While the lows are fat but still somewhat tight and the midrange is strong, the high end is a bit muted, and that is something I never found with any PAF style pickup.

Cheers Stephan

Thank you Stephan. I will keep searching. I'd like something "malmsteen"-y just hotter. Believe it or not, the current Seymour Duncan livewire neck does fantastic clean/distorted tones.

Offline greekdude

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2022, 12:36:08 AM »
The Chopper makes for an excellent neck pickup, though it sounds nothing like a PAF.

I agree with you on the LiquiFire. It’s probably one of my favorite neck pickups, but I don’t like the style of bridge pickup that can keep up with it. I don’t care for the FT2 either for a similar reason. I like the BC2 though. I kinda wish I still had mine but I’d rather get that kind of tone from a full-sized humbucker. That guitar now has the Chopper in the bridge. Though that is somewhat tangential.

thank you, would gravity storm set work better you think, why not! Vai is cool!

Offline gregr

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2022, 02:55:57 PM »
Have you checked with DiMarzio? I’m sure they have an  easy answer for you and I’d love to find out what they say.
Various hybrids