Stratocaster Wiring - Watch Your Grounds!

• 3 Replies

Offline darkbluemurder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Stratocaster Wiring - Watch Your Grounds!
« on: September 30, 2021, 04:17:54 AM »
The latest strat set up made problems. I had a bad intermittent cutting in and out in the tone. The culprit? A loose tone pot. Keep in mind that the foil on the back of the pickguard is the ground connection for all pots (this is why the pots are not connected by a wire as in Les Paul guitars) so they need to be screwed to the pickguard tightly for a good ground connection. When I tightend the nut, the intermittent went away.

Hope this helps with troubleshooting.

Cheers Stephan
Area 67, Area 58, Area 61, VV Pro 54, Injectors, VV HB2, Virtual Solo, SDS-1, Area T, Area Hot T, Area T 615, Virtual Hot T, Chopper T, Bluesbucker, Breed set, Air Norton, Super Distortion, DLX+ set, DLX-90, DP240, DP198, DP168, VPAF b, AT-1, Mo' Joe, FRED, Super 2; GS b

BluesJam

Re: Stratocaster Wiring - Watch Your Grounds!
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2021, 03:20:07 AM »
Yeah… not the best way to wire a guitar.  Years ago they had a shielding plate not foil.  You’re  best bet is to ground it the right way. You can’t trust continuity with cheap thin aluminum tape shield.  Ymmv

Offline 5150

• -=VH=-
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2021, 06:01:57 PM »
I found that I never used the tone pot in my guitars that had them so I just disconnected them.

Offline buddroyce

• *Fake VIP*
  • Administrator
  • Founder
    • View Profile
    • BRL Guitarworks
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2021, 06:21:36 PM »
Thanks for sharing the tip!!
Founder - DiMarzioForum.Com
Follow me on Twitter