Offline buddroyce

• *Fake VIP*
  • Administrator
  • Founder
    • View Profile
    • BRL Guitarworks
What do you use to record?
« on: January 20, 2021, 09:39:51 AM »
We all have lots of guitars but now I'm wondering what everyone here uses for recording at home.
Founder - DiMarzioForum.Com
Follow me on Twitter

Offline darkbluemurder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: What do you use to record?
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2021, 02:19:30 AM »
I probably still have a TEAC 4 track recorder from the 80s in the basement which I have not used for about 20 years. I also have a Roland TR-505 drum computer from the same area, also unused for about the same time. I used the vocal microphones (AKG DT-330, Electrovoice, Shure SM 58) to record vocals and guitars. I plugged the bass in through a DI box.

I found however that recording tracks alone was not much fun to me - in particular I hated programming the drum track because it took me about 4 hours for a 2:30 to 3:00 song. I could have done it faster if I disregarded any drum rolls or verse/chorus changes.

Cheers Stephan
Area 67, Area 58, Area 61, VV Pro 54, Injectors, VV HB2, Virtual Solo, SDS-1, Area T, Area Hot T, Area T 615, Virtual Hot T, Chopper T, Bluesbucker, Breed set, Air Norton, Super Distortion, DLX+ set, DLX-90, DP240, DP198, DP168, VPAF b, AT-1, Mo' Joe, FRED, Super 2; GS b

Offline Guitar74

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2021, 12:25:17 PM »
I use a Zoom R8 for tracking as well as drum loops. Like Stephen said, it is time consuming doing drum loops if you actually want it to sound like a drummer. I then mix down in Logic Pro. It is time consuming doing everything by myself, but when I FINALLY get to where I am recording the guitars, it becomes enjoyable again.
If you're having one of those days where everyone is on your case and is just getting on your nerves, it's probably not everyone else

Offline buddroyce

• *Fake VIP*
  • Administrator
  • Founder
    • View Profile
    • BRL Guitarworks
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2021, 05:56:15 PM »
I haven't done drum programming in forever but I can imagine that it's super time consuming.

I wonder if there's a simpler recording setup I can get setup. Preferably something USB that I can connect to a laptop while I'm on the go. That's of course once covid is over with.
Founder - DiMarzioForum.Com
Follow me on Twitter

Offline Guitar74

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2021, 03:41:35 PM »
The R8 would be perfect for that because you also have the built in drum machine which you can program, sequencer, and even though they aren't earth shattering, the amp models are workable enough that you can get some decent tones from them. Or you could go with the 16 or 24 track version. They also work as an interface for DAW ware, and use usb for transport as well as recording interface. I take mine everywhere.
If you're having one of those days where everyone is on your case and is just getting on your nerves, it's probably not everyone else