AIR Classic vs Paf36Th

• 3 Replies

Offline Matte23

• View Profile
AIR Classic vs Paf36Th
« on: October 14, 2016, 12:30:52 PM »
What are the differences between these two models?? they are both a PAF replica, but how can sounds in gain situation? I've see PAul Gilbert uses in more guitars the Air classic set but i'm afraid of the low ouput theu can be sounds thin or like a single coil??

Offline RayBarbeeMusic

• View Profile
Re: AIR Classic vs Paf36Th
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2016, 06:16:18 PM »
The air classics are probably my favorite PAFs.  The neck is the most balanced sounding neck PAF I've ever heard, including boutique options costing multiple times as much, and the bridge has the PAF bite and tightness while not being harsh in the highs. 

The 36th neck is not as smooth and balanced IMO; the 36th bridge has more midrange but I also find the high end a little harsh in a lot of applications.

Offline eggman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2016, 12:44:00 AM »
Howdy,

I've an Air Classic (neck) and a 36th Anni PAF in the bridge of my old 335. The Air classic in the neck is fantastic; much better than the Duncan '59 I had in there. It's almost as touch sensitive as a Strat pickup, and is the best vintage type of 'bucker I've played.
 The 36th Anni PAF in the bridge, while not disappointing, is a little too powerful for my purist tastes. It also has an EQ profile that's similar to a P90-middy. I've lowered it as far as I can and it's satisfactory, but I wish I'd have gone with an Air classic set. The 36th is surprisingly useful for British Invasion clean tones with my Dr. Z Carmen Ghia, though. Good luck!

marcwormjim

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2016, 03:42:36 PM »
As listed on the site, the Air Classics are indeed low output. My Vigier Shawn Lane had a set of them and an FS-1 running into 1M pots for a VERY bright and thin sound I associated more with single coils; which a swap of pot values "helped." It was also my experience that they were too low in output to split into a usable single-coil sound - But there are certainly ways to compensate for this. I never got around to hearing how they sounded in parallel, but I suspect it would have been an improvement.

That being said, I still felt the Air Classics were great; and am strongly considering putting a set in my Parker Fly - But that project is on the backburner. As always, your mileage may vary.