DimarzioForum.Com > Everything you wanted to know about ....

PAF Joe

(1/4) > >>

KH Guitar Freak:
I'm sure some of you Dimarzio whores have owned one. Time for you to sell me on one. Never played one, but I have played a PAF Pro numerous times. Describe the differnces in detail as possible...

buddroyce:
The PAF Joe in comparison to the PAF Pro is a much sweeter sounding pickup than the smoother sounding Paf Pro. It's got more of a Rock n' Roll vibe and still maintains a lot of clarity even under disgusting amounts of gain. It's also a very chimey sounding pickup that's got some of the qualities strat and tele players seem to love. Other than the Humbucker from Hell, the Paf Joe would probably be the next brightest pickup closer to a single coil vibe.

Bascially, if you like the Humbucker from Hell and the Paf Pro and want something in between the two, give the Paf Joe a try.

Schneidas:
Just to give a slightly different perspective than buddy, I think the biggest difference between the PAF Pro and PAF Joe is in pick attack. While the Pro has an immediate reponse with a tight, defined and relatively sharp attack, the Joe has a very dull & swallowed, almost non-existant pick attack, which makes it great for some styles but really bad for others. The dull attack is followed by a relatively brightish tone which makes this pickup very unique - but for some players (including me) very unappealing. Let's put it this way: if you're into speedy, heavily distorted solo playing on the neck pickup and need definition and clarity, stay away from the Joe. But if your focus lies in clean and semi-dirty sounds with a mellow style and unique tone, the Joe is worth a try. Personally, although I'm a big DiMarzio fan, I think the Joe is a swing and a miss! By far.

Schneidas:
Actually, it's in my top 3 list of "pickups to avoid and tell others about it" ;)

KH Guitar Freak:
Cheers for the update. The other pickup the store has is a Fred. Not too sure about that one, cause I have yet to hear clips of those in the neck position...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version