Blacktop Strat pickup recommendation

• 4 Replies

Offline liquidfirechen

• View Profile
Blacktop Strat pickup recommendation
« on: January 15, 2016, 12:20:35 AM »
Hi Everyone, It's my first post here at dimarzio forum.It's nice meeting you all. I owned a Fender Strat Blacktop (alder body with maple fret), and looking for a pickup combo that will let me play a diverse style (rock, pop, prog metal and death metal). I don't use any actual amp, instead i use my ipad with Bias FX(great app by the way) with my KRK Rokit 5 monitor at home. I want a pickup combo that will give me tight bottom for heavy chugging, and cutting leads. Great good clean tone, and clears up well when volume is rolled down. I am looking into Crunch lab(bridge)/Liquidfire(neck) combo ( I am a big Dream Theater/JP fan), also want to hear the opinion on JP's new signature Illuminator, Super Distortion and Steve's Special.
All the review I've read on those pickups are on a different body wood than my blacktop strat. So I really would like to hear from you guy's recommendation on a workhorse pickup combo.
Cheers!

Offline buddroyce

• *Fake VIP*
  • Administrator
  • Founder
    • View Profile
    • BRL Guitarworks
Re: Blacktop Strat pickup recommendation
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2016, 05:08:20 PM »
The Illuminator may actually be the pickup you're looking for. With the volume dialed down, it can do rock and pop without any problem. Prog metal is what it was designed for and I'm pretty sure it could handle death metal without any problems.
Founder - DiMarzioForum.Com
Follow me on Twitter

Offline liquidfirechen

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2016, 01:47:36 AM »
Thank you buddroyce! I will certainly look into the Illuminator sets!

Offline liquidfirechen

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2016, 02:57:39 AM »
Hi all,

I have another question. Where i can order custom color for a set of Illuminator pickup? Most online store only offer black.

Thanks you!

Offline DarthPhineas

• View Profile
    • Darth Phineas Guitar Gear Reviews
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2016, 01:26:25 PM »

Hi all,

I have another question. Where i can order custom color for a set of Illuminator pickup? Most online store only offer black.

Thanks you!

Any dealer can place an order for you.  Or you should be able to call DiMarzio directly.
Gear Reviews   |  Facebook   |   Twitter   |   Instagram