virtual solo
injector bridge

HSS - hot middle

• 7 Replies

Offline mobys436

• View Profile
HSS - hot middle
« on: January 06, 2022, 04:03:31 PM »
I'm currently running a pair of vv54 pros, and a 36th bridge in a strat, and I'm having trouble with the 54 pro in the middle. I have to raise it pretty high for it to match volume-wise with the neck, which ends up getting in the way of my picking, and I find it a bit thin sounding.

Considering something that's not too different from the 54 pro in the neck, maybe a bit fatter, and loud enough that I can lower it but match in volume with the neck.

Anyone try and compare the virtual solo, heavy blues 2, and injector bridge? The solo might be too hot?

Offline mobys436

• View Profile
Re: HSS - hot middle
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2022, 10:02:27 PM »
Is the age of heroes no more? No voices out there?

Offline darkbluemurder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2022, 03:56:55 AM »
For that application, Injector neck (DP-422) would be a good choice as it has good output and retains lots of sparkle if used with a 500k volume pot. The Virtual Vintage Heavy Blues 2 has the same output for all practical purposes (the small difference in rated output does not make a difference in practice, and yes, I had both in the same guitar) but it has a bit more warmth and midrange and a bit less sparkle. Between those two, I would choose for tonal reasons and not output. The Injector neck is definitely closer to the VV54 than the HB2 is.

I used the other two in the bridge position only. If it has to be one of those for the middle, I'd pick the Injector bridge, and then only with a 500k volume pot.

What value is your volume pot?

Cheers Stephan
Area 67, Area 58, Area 61, VV Pro 54, Injectors, VV HB2, Virtual Solo, SDS-1, Area T, Area Hot T, Area T 615, Virtual Hot T, Chopper T, Bluesbucker, Breed set, Air Norton, Super Distortion, DLX+ set, DLX-90, DP240, DP198, DP168, VPAF b, AT-1, Mo' Joe, FRED, Super 2; GS b

Offline mobys436

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2022, 06:32:43 AM »
For that application, Injector neck (DP-422) would be a good choice as it has good output and retains lots of sparkle if used with a 500k volume pot. The Virtual Vintage Heavy Blues 2 has the same output for all practical purposes (the small difference in rated output does not make a difference in practice, and yes, I had both in the same guitar) but it has a bit more warmth and midrange and a bit less sparkle. Between those two, I would choose for tonal reasons and not output. The Injector neck is definitely closer to the VV54 than the HB2 is.

I used the other two in the bridge position only. If it has to be one of those for the middle, I'd pick the Injector bridge, and then only with a 500k volume pot.

What value is your volume pot?

Cheers Stephan
Thanks for the reply! I have a master volume and tone with both 250k pots, but the tone control is wired only to the neck and middle singlecoils.

Offline darkbluemurder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2022, 01:32:36 PM »
As you have 250k pots, I would still recommend the Injector neck over the others - they will most likely not be bright enough.

As an alternative there is the Virtual Vintage Blues (DP 402) which by its specs sits between the VV 54 Pro and the Injector neck. However, I never played that one.

Cheers Stephan
Area 67, Area 58, Area 61, VV Pro 54, Injectors, VV HB2, Virtual Solo, SDS-1, Area T, Area Hot T, Area T 615, Virtual Hot T, Chopper T, Bluesbucker, Breed set, Air Norton, Super Distortion, DLX+ set, DLX-90, DP240, DP198, DP168, VPAF b, AT-1, Mo' Joe, FRED, Super 2; GS b

Offline headcrash

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2022, 07:50:13 AM »
I second the Injector neck for the middle position.
I have one in a Music Man Axis Sport SSH there.
On the neck I have a Pro Track.
In the two quack positions it is loud enough. Of course it appears quieter because there's less mids, naturally.
But it works quite well.

Offline mobys436

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2022, 06:09:24 PM »
So ended up buying a heavy blues 2 from banjomikez. As others have mentioned it did lack some sparkle, especially in comparison to the 54 in the neck, but I disconnected the tone pot, and now it seems to balance very well with the 54. It is indeed just loud enough that I can lower it and get it out of the way of my picking. Thanks for your suggestions!

Offline darkbluemurder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2022, 03:26:10 AM »
That's good to hear - enjoy!