Pickup selection

• 5 Replies

Offline miles61

• Keep On Rockin
    • View Profile
Pickup selection
« on: March 03, 2021, 04:35:14 PM »
Hi All,
Been lurking around for a bit, just bought my first DiMarzio PuPs to go into a PRS ME2 Copy, I have some GFS PuPs and RS Guitarworks wiring kit in there now and it sounds good, but I never used the push pull pot so I'm going with std CTS 500 ohm pots with 22mf cap, Based on the web site pickup finder I'm putting a Deactivator neck and a Super Distortion in the bridge. I hope this turns it in to a metal monster,
Any thoughts,
Thanks
2020 Gibon LesPaul Std
2019 Ernie Ball Cutlass HSS
PRS ME2 Clone
Fender Twin Reverb

Offline darkbluemurder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Pickup selection
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2021, 02:25:07 AM »
No experience with the D Activator neck but it was designed for metal.  The Super Distortion is a great all round pickup which should cover heavy metal as well.

Cheers Stephan
Area 67, Area 58, Area 61, VV Pro 54, Injectors, VV HB2, Virtual Solo, SDS-1, Area T, Area Hot T, Area T 615, Virtual Hot T, Chopper T, Bluesbucker, Breed set, Air Norton, Super Distortion, DLX+ set, DLX-90, DP240, DP198, DP168, VPAF b, AT-1, Mo' Joe, FRED, Super 2; GS b

Offline Guitar74

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2021, 11:58:06 AM »
Yeah, you can't go wrong with a Super Distortion for hard rock/metal.
If you're having one of those days where everyone is on your case and is just getting on your nerves, it's probably not everyone else

Offline miles61

• Keep On Rockin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2021, 08:05:51 AM »
Thanks, for the replies, I don't have any question about the super distortion, but really looking for thoughts on the D Activator neck PuP,
Does anyone have experience with this pickup?
2020 Gibon LesPaul Std
2019 Ernie Ball Cutlass HSS
PRS ME2 Clone
Fender Twin Reverb

Offline buddroyce

• *Fake VIP*
  • Administrator
  • Founder
    • View Profile
    • BRL Guitarworks
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2021, 01:45:25 PM »
The D-Activator neck is very much a metal neck pickup. The D-Activator set was DiMarzio's answer to a passive alternative to active EMGs. To me the neck pickup is closer to an EMG 81 in the neck than the EMG85, quite clear and articulate with plenty of cutting power.
Founder - DiMarzioForum.Com
Follow me on Twitter

Offline Neon_Knight_

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2021, 10:38:51 AM »
You've probably got your new pickups by now, but in case you haven't:

The neck D Activator has very similar output and EQ to the Super 2, which was designed to be paired with a Super Distortion (and arguably pairs even better with the Super 3 bridge pickup). 
If you want to play hard rock / metal with high-end cut from your neck pickup, without the risk of it getting thin or brittle, either D Activator or Super 2 would be a great choice.  I don't think you could go wrong with either.
D Activator is more articulate and is the most harmonic neck pickup I know of (more harmonics than some bridge humbuckers!).  Super 2 has slightly more low-mids.