Tuning Problems in 2013 Gibson SG

• 5 Replies

Offline moise

• View Profile
Tuning Problems in 2013 Gibson SG
« on: November 13, 2015, 11:42:33 AM »
The guitar is an almost new SG. It keeps going out of tune, ESPECIALLY the G string when you bend it.

Note: I live in Cuba...No Gibson Stores or anything like it.
Dimarzio pickups used: Virtual Solo, Virtual Heavy Blues 2, HS-3, HS-2

Offline Matt_B

• View Profile
Re: Tuning Problems in 2013 Gibson SG
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2015, 01:40:14 PM »
Not an uncommon problem. Have you searched the net? Here, let me Google that for you.

Offline greenlion

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2015, 01:46:13 PM »
Of course YOU are having tuning problems with modern Gibsons. Gibsons all tune themselves now.

Seriously though, if you have the strings wound on the posts properly, the next place to check for binding is the Nut Slot. Have you increased the string size since you bought it?

Offline corypheus

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2015, 03:36:33 AM »
Had issues with the new LP I bought recently too, with those horrendous black-plastic-covered pickups. Anyway, in my case was a nut issue, had to lube it with graphite alot otherwise it would catch a string while bending and it'd go out of tune easily. I eventually contacted a local guitar builder, and he made me a bone nut which I then fitted on it, top-loaded it with elixir strings, and never had any issues with tuning stability ever since. The guitar in question also had issues with frets and I had to polish them and level them properly and this was brand new guitar too, not used one.

So if I were you, I'd try top-loading her and lubing up the nut (you also might the tunomatic bridge as well) and see if it helps.

Offline moise

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2015, 09:03:07 AM »
Thanks for the advice.

The strings are correctly wound. Put some lub in the nut and improved a lot, maybe a 90%.
Dimarzio pickups used: Virtual Solo, Virtual Heavy Blues 2, HS-3, HS-2

Offline Aceman

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2016, 10:19:33 AM »
A (very very) small file on the edges of the nut might help the last 10%  Sharp edges can bind.  Lube may not fix that.

Nice QA Gibson….