HSS rock pickups for hi gain and QUACK!

• 10 Replies

Offline nynemusic

• View Profile
HSS rock pickups for hi gain and QUACK!
« on: May 11, 2015, 02:48:55 AM »
First post guys!
Long time Dimarzio user, but had switched to Duncans for a while.
Time to return!
Ordering a Warmoth Tele with HSS and strat controls.

Need an HSS set in which:
Bridge H will only be used under hi gain for hard rock, almost metal, but does not need to be a hi output pickup.
Middle pickup can be authentic singe coil to help in position 2&4 Quack!
Neck pickup....needs to be chimey and bell like when clean, quacky in position 2 and shreddy under hi gain.

Thinking of Norton/Cruiser B/Cruiser B, or ATI/ Cruiser B/Cruiser B, or authentic single in the middle.
Any alternatives to the Cruiser which would fit my needs.

I need hum cancelling neck pickup please as i spend a lot of time there......

Duncan Rails are an option too, but i think Dimarzio has more choices.
Looking forward to your experienced advice!

Thanks
Faisal

Offline darkbluemurder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: HSS rock pickups for hi gain and QUACK!
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2015, 03:13:22 AM »
Neck pickup: Injector neck would do what you want. I would also use that for the middle position. Up to now my experience with the Cruisers is rather limited - I used one briefly in my Tele, liked it but replaced it with the Di Marzio Minibucker (DP-240) which I prefer.

Bridge: I don't have any experience with the Norton but the AT-1 would also do what you want.

One of my strats has a very similar set up - Bareknuckle Holydiver, Injector neck in the middle and Virtual Vintage Heavy Blues 2 in the neck, with 500k pots for volume and tone.

Cheers Stephan
Area 67, Area 58, Area 61, VV Pro 54, Injectors, VV HB2, Virtual Solo, SDS-1, Area T, Area Hot T, Area T 615, Virtual Hot T, Chopper T, Bluesbucker, Breed set, Air Norton, Super Distortion, DLX+ set, DLX-90, DP240, DP198, DP168, VPAF b, AT-1, Mo' Joe, FRED, Super 2; GS b

Offline jazzfromhell

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2015, 03:47:49 AM »
I agree with DarkBlue, AT-1/Injector/Injector is a great choice. Im not a huge fan of railbuckers myself (they´re kinda like the worst of two worlds for me) so Id go Injector instead of Cruiser. I have a H-S basswood Ibanez with the AT-1/Injector and its a solid and quite versatile pickup combo. With an added SC in the middle It´d be even more so.

Offline nynemusic

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2015, 10:21:36 AM »
So how about AT1/True Velvet Middle/Injector Neck........

Offline nynemusic

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2015, 11:01:25 AM »
....or any other single in the middle which help the neck and bridge quack on 2 and 4. Area series ??
Thanks guys!

Offline jazzfromhell

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2015, 07:31:00 AM »
Yes, go with an Area 67 if you want supreme quackiness.

Offline slugworth

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2015, 09:42:35 AM »
My set would be Air Zone/54/Injector Neck.

The Air Zone has the balls for hard rock/metal, and splits better than any other humbucker I've split.

The 54 does a great 50s sound (obviously), with some dirt it does a great rock rhythm sound, and it sounds fantastic for notch quack. Pretty much everything you could want from a middle pickup.

The Injector Neck is made for what you have in mind in the neck slot.

If it was me I'd use 500k pots and add resistors to range them somewhere in the 300-350k range. A 1M resistor will get you to 333k, assuming the pots and resistors are at spec.

My second team set would be Norton/Cruiser/Cruiser, if you want to go that route, as it seems you are really looking for rails.
DIMARZIO MODELS CURRENTLY OR PREVIOUSLY OWNED: 68 TOTAL

Offline nynemusic

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2015, 09:51:11 AM »
Guys thank you so much for your awesome advice!

Am not really hell bent on rails, i do like Timmon's tone but i prefer Gilmour/Knopfler and Gilbert!

However, the Cruiser seems to have a lot more hi end than the Injector, which is mid and bass heavy, which will help in hi gain, but how will sound on clean ?

Great suggestions here..... :)

Offline RayBarbeeMusic

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2015, 07:02:44 PM »
AT-1/Injector/Injector is a great choice.

That.  Wire it so the AT-1 switches to parallel mode when it is in position 2 with the middle pickup.  Or, you can flip the magnet in the At-1 and wire both the AT-1 and the injector to split in that position.  That way you'll get a bridge side coil that hum cancels with the injector split.

Offline boardn10

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2015, 04:57:26 PM »
I have the 54 Pro in the middle and it is so weak and thin compared to my Air Zone. I would personally go injectors or Fast Track middle. I really hate weak thin singles, I come from always using humbuckers so if I switch to a single or in between position, I tend to drop out of the mix cause my output and volume drops so much, especially being a hard rock or metal guy. I will only use powerful singles that can hang with humbuckers. I am going Chopper, Fast Track, and or Satch Track or Injectors. My 54 Pros would not keep up and neither would my Fender high output noiseless. So far my favorite single coil sized pickup is the Chopper and the Duncan Little 59. However, these don't sound much like single coils but under gain and clean, they will be cleaner than a typical humbucker and that is all I really want out of so gle coil sized pickups. I can't change my style. Even Hendrix, I always played on my LP Standard. Haha.

Offline nynemusic

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2015, 05:47:51 PM »
I respect that buddy! U know your tone and you stick to it!