Looking to try something between a 36th PAF and Tone Zone

• 40 Replies

Offline Matt_B

• View Profile
Looking to try something between a 36th PAF and Tone Zone
« on: May 01, 2015, 10:21:47 PM »
I'm looking to try a pup that's somewhere between the 36th PAF and Tone Zone and I think that would be a Norton or more specifically a half-aired Norton.

The output level on the PAF is fine and I'd almost lean towards the Air Norton but it seems like a lot of folks don't like it in the bridge. I really like the 36th PAF but I'd like something with a little more oomph and midrange.

Based upon that should I just get a Norton and half-air it or just get an Air Norton? Again bear in mind I generally like the PAF.

Thanks.

Offline KellyB

• View Profile
Re: Looking to try something between a 36th PAF and Tone Zone
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2015, 12:07:32 AM »
At-1

Offline Matt_B

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2015, 07:12:04 AM »
Eh, on paper I'm not seeing the AT-1 as being the solution to what I'm trying to do so it's going to take a bit more convincing than a 4 character response. :)

Offline Amplifuzz

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2015, 01:18:59 PM »
Sounds like Norton, but this is the perfect question for DiMarzio's own tech line, as they know exactly what goes on in their designs as far as frequency response and stuff. Let us know if you ask them!

Offline Matt_B

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2015, 02:48:05 PM »
If one always contacted Dimarzio when they had a question like then the conversation on this board would be greatly diminished, wouldn't it. :)

Offline LPBII

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2015, 03:09:05 PM »
Some other Dimarzio pickups with some PAF properties but more power to consider:

Breed neck
Liquifire

Offline jazzfromhell

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2015, 03:11:23 PM »
I think youre on the right track with the Norton. Another one that could really work for you is the Breed Neck.

EDIT: LPBII beat me to it.

Offline KellyB

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2015, 03:55:24 PM »
The at-1 is billed as a 36th with more output and mids. The air norton sounds nothing like a paf. It has a unique, hollow tone.

Offline Matt_B

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2015, 03:57:01 PM »
Some other Dimarzio pickups with some PAF properties but more power to consider:

Breed neck
Liquifire
Breed neck looks too bright and too bassy. It would likely be less boomy than a Tone Zone but not by much.

Liquifire looks too dark and the mids might be too much.

Offline Matt_B

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2015, 04:02:41 PM »
The at-1 is billed as a 36th with more output and mids. The air norton sounds nothing like a paf. It has a unique, hollow tone.
The Tone Zone if often referred to as a PAF on steroids so I can understand if the AT-1 is thought of similarly but it still seems too close to a Tone Zone to be what I want.

As far as the Air Norton sounding "hollow" that is one word that I have never heard used to describe it. Still it's not the one I'm leaning to for the bridge position.

Offline RayBarbeeMusic

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2015, 06:17:34 PM »
Having used everything in question here, I'm going to give you an order that goes from one to the other:

36th bridge
Breed Neck
Norton
AT-1
Air Zone
Tone Zone. 

That is also pretty much the order from bright to dark as well, and in order of low-end content (the breed neck is *NOT* boomy in any way).  There is of course more going on.  The harmonic content of the AT-1 is something that is hard to describe, it is very complex in a way nothing else really is.  The AT-1 also has more low mids and less high mids than a Norton, which is very focused on the high mids, and the breed neck to me is like a more balanced Norton.  The AT-1 is not dark though.  Its....well you have to hear it.  No way to really describe it with words.

Also, I would NOT recommend an Air Norton in the bridge, it will rip your head right off.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2015, 06:26:01 PM by RayBarbeeMusic »

Offline Matt_B

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2015, 07:05:52 PM »
Ray, thanks for sharing that information. It's exactly what I need to know.

Looks like it's a toss up between the Norton and AT-1 thought I'm still leaning towards the Norton.

Thanks again.

Offline RayBarbeeMusic

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2015, 02:38:32 AM »
Comparing those 2: 

1) AT-1:  works well with 500k pots, fat vocal lead tone but with some bite on the highs, low mid hump for balls on chords, seriously complex harmonic content.  Comes across as having much higher output than DiMarzio's chart would indicate.  If combining with another humbucker or hotter singles that like 500k, i.e. Injector necks, heavy Blues, Cruisers, this works better.

2) Norton:  High mid emphasis, IMO does not like 500k pots. The highest I've used it with good results is about 400k but that guitar has an aluminum guard so there is lots of stray capacitance running around to darken up that Norton.  More like 250k-350k seems to fatten it up and take off the harsh in most guitars.  When combined with the right value volume pot, has a very vocal midrange, albeit brighter and not as fat as the AT-1.  Doesn't have the complex harmonics of the AT-1, more like what you'd hear on a PAF.  Very clear and articulate, comes across as lower output than the AT-1 in spite of DiMarzio's chart, but not in a bad way.  It sounds clear and clean due to the brightness.
Combining with Area 67/58/61/54, or similar singles that like 250-300k pots, this works best.

Offline corypheus

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2015, 06:30:04 AM »
Try an Air Zone (which is an air version of the Tone Zone) or an Norton, though I think between the two, AZ is probably closer to what you're looking for.

Offline Matt_B

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2015, 07:26:26 AM »
Try an Air Zone (which is an air version of the Tone Zone) or an Norton, though I think between the two, AZ is probably closer to what you're looking for.
The Air Zone is too close to a Tone Zone for my tastes.