HH mahagony guitar. AT-1/Gravity Storm + ???

• 4 Replies

Offline Dvir

• View Profile
HH mahagony guitar. AT-1/Gravity Storm + ???
« on: March 06, 2016, 12:13:04 PM »
Hey guys,
I'm thinking about buying the AT-1 pickup (or maybe the Gravity Storm, as suggested to me by DiMarzio) but I have no idea about which neck pickup would compliment it.
My guitar is an Ibanez SZ520FM (mahagony body, maple top, set-in mahagony neck with rosewood fretboard and a string through body style bridge) and it currently has a Rio Grande set (Texas/BBQ) installed in it with a coil split pot for each one (I mostly play my neck pickup when it's split and my bridge when it isn't). My amp is a Laney IRT Studio and I'm using a Jet City 112 cab. The tone I'm after is something like Andy Timmons has which is full but not too dark and beautiful harmonics. I'm playing my amp with very low gain, bass and mids are just over halfway and treble is about 10-11 o'clock.
Do you think that switching pickups will help me get where I want considering my equipment? Which one of the bridge pickups I mentioned will fit me better? And what neck pickup should I look for? I'm looking for clear, bright tone (should I aim for that tone when splitting/parallel and for a fatter tone when in series?)

Sorry for that overwhelmingly long post and thanks alot  ;D

Edit:
I just found the Air Classic Neck and it's clear while not too bright. what do you guys say? Maybe even the Air Classic Bridge as a neck pickup? Also, any ideas for pickups from other brands?
« Last Edit: March 06, 2016, 12:21:27 PM by Dvir »

Offline Kelly Briggs

• View Profile
Re: HH mahagony guitar. AT-1/Gravity Storm + ???
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2016, 10:31:36 AM »
The Gravity storm set is very nice. The neck compliments the bridge very nicely.

As for the AT1, I have talked to several people that have a Humbucker From Hell paired with their AT and speak very highly of the combo.

Offline buddroyce

• *Fake VIP*
  • Administrator
  • Founder
    • View Profile
    • BRL Guitarworks
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2016, 01:54:56 AM »
I love both the AT-1 and the Gravity Storm. I honestly think the AT-1 may be the one you're looking for. As for the neck, I've always like the AT-1 paired up with a bluesbucker which has more of that P90 vibe.
Founder - DiMarzioForum.Com
Follow me on Twitter

Offline Dvir

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2016, 12:32:42 PM »
Thanks for the help guys.
I'm trying to find a way to fit a dimarzio cruiser in my neck humbucker slot. Any ideas? I can't find a conversion ring that really seems good and I'd like to hear if you have any more ideas

Offline headcrash

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2016, 07:16:51 PM »
Hi I can recommend a PAF 36th Bridge for the neck. I paired that one with a AT-1 in my 25.5 scale ash/maple guitar.They match nicely and neck Position is fat, but clear, and bright enough.
Must be because both kind of share the same DNA, if you will.