Sorry - ANOTHER Les Paul question

• 4 Replies

Offline Son_of_Mogh

• View Profile
Sorry - ANOTHER Les Paul question
« on: September 30, 2015, 06:45:50 PM »
Greetings, and many apologies in advance!  I have an '81-83 Les Paul Custom that I 'inherited' from my brother.  I need new pickups and I am overwhelmed.  I've done several searches on this forum, and YouTube searches and I've decided to go with Dimarzio.  Question is:  I love Frank Zappa, Robert Fripp ( KC before the Roland synth stuff), and John McLaughlin ( Mahavishnu Orchestra era tone ).  What would you suggest to get a great compromise to get around the distorted and clean tones these players got?  I'm open to all suggestions.  Thank you all in advance!

Offline jazzfromhell

• View Profile
Re: Sorry - ANOTHER Les Paul question
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2015, 12:03:32 AM »
I'm no expert on those guys you mention but unless they were using Super Distortions I'd say something in the PAF family is solid choice. PAF Master, 36th Anni or maybe even the Air Classics.

Offline Son_of_Mogh

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2015, 11:43:39 AM »
Thanks, jazzfromhell , I've been interested in the PAF 36th Anni.  These guys are 70's heroes of mine - not exactly rock or metal or jazz, but enough rock and metal and jazz and outside notes that they're favorites for me.

Offline DarthPhineas

• View Profile
    • Darth Phineas Guitar Gear Reviews
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2015, 12:22:30 PM »
The 36th for the neck and the 36th Bridge for the bridge.
Gear Reviews   |  Facebook   |   Twitter   |   Instagram

Offline Son_of_Mogh

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2015, 05:41:12 PM »
Thanks, DarkPhineas !  I've looked up a couple YouTube clips already!  By the way, loved your Super 3 review