tone zone s + areas what pots?

• 4 Replies

Offline rknrollo

• View Profile
tone zone s + areas what pots?
« on: June 23, 2015, 01:38:35 AM »
I have an 85 contemporary strat, I have a tone zone s, area 61 and 58 to install, what pot value is recomended for this combo? I usually run TBX tone controls and a basic 0.001uf cap for a treble bleed on my HSS/HSH strats, I dont want mud on the tonezone s but dont want ice pick on the areas, the area will have a series/split/parallel switch. I've never done it but I was thinking 250k pots and two TBX tone controls, I don't want to route this guitar, I have another one just like it and it has a super 3 and two D Allen JM rockin blues and a TBX and its my number 1 strat, it does everything well that one does not have the treble bleed but TBX is connected to bridge and neck and its amazing.

Offline darkbluemurder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: tone zone s + areas what pots?
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2015, 03:33:36 AM »
Where did you plan to put the Area 61 - middle or neck? If you put it in the neck, it should work OK with the 500k pot (at least it does in my Telecaster set up with two strat single coils and a tele bridge pickup), and the Tone Zone S will be happy, too. The #2 and #4 positions will be fine with the 500k volume pot as well - only the middle pickup alone may be bright.

If you plan to put the 58 in the neck, then the ideal load for the single coils would be 250k which may be too low for the ToneZone S. In that case I would still go with a 500k pot and use a 470k or 560k resistor which would go to ground when the Areas are used. I have to check where I have the schematic for this.

Cheers Stephan
Area 67, Area 58, Area 61, VV Pro 54, Injectors, VV HB2, Virtual Solo, SDS-1, Area T, Area Hot T, Area T 615, Virtual Hot T, Chopper T, Bluesbucker, Breed set, Air Norton, Super Distortion, DLX+ set, DLX-90, DP240, DP198, DP168, VPAF b, AT-1, Mo' Joe, FRED, Super 2; GS b

Offline Matt_B

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2015, 10:30:56 PM »
I'm looking for a schematic just like this so I look forward to your reply.

Offline rknrollo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2015, 12:31:59 AM »
I'm actualy going to put the 61 middle and 58 neck, going to put a three way toggle for series/split/parallel for the tone zone bridge.

Offline darkbluemurder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2015, 03:37:21 AM »
Since I am not sure whether I violate a copyright if I post the schematic I describe it here verbally.

It uses the normal 5-way 2-level selector. One level selects the pickups as usual. From the wiper/hot output of this level run a 470k resistor to the taps on the second level you wish to lower the pot value (e.g. to the tap activated in #1 neck and #3 middle). Final step: run a wire from the wiper/output of the second level to ground.

This puts the 470k resistor to ground whenever the selector is in a position where the neck or middle pickups are engaged, so you get a virtual 240k volume pot. If only the bridge pickup is engaged the 470k resistor is not connected to ground, so you still have your 500k volume pot.

Cheers Stephan
Area 67, Area 58, Area 61, VV Pro 54, Injectors, VV HB2, Virtual Solo, SDS-1, Area T, Area Hot T, Area T 615, Virtual Hot T, Chopper T, Bluesbucker, Breed set, Air Norton, Super Distortion, DLX+ set, DLX-90, DP240, DP198, DP168, VPAF b, AT-1, Mo' Joe, FRED, Super 2; GS b