Tele wiring help!

• 2 Replies

Offline Jimmy C

• View Profile
Tele wiring help!
« on: March 03, 2017, 12:27:12 PM »
I am putting together a HS tele and would like some input on the wiring.
I ordered NOS Virtual Hot T for the bridge and an Air Classic for the neck.
I was planning on using a 500k audio for volume and a 250k audio for the "no load" tone control.
I may bypass the tone control completely for the neck HB.
My questions are;
Would this be the correct way to go?
Would you change pot values?
What would be the proper tone cap to use?
With these pickups would an added resistor be necessary?
Would you bypass the tone on the HB?
I know some of this is subjective to personal preference but any input you have would be greatly appreciated.

Offline darkbluemurder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Tele wiring help!
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2017, 07:17:38 AM »
Hi,

I am putting together a HS tele and would like some input on the wiring.
I ordered NOS Virtual Hot T for the bridge and an Air Classic for the neck.
I was planning on using a 500k audio for volume and a 250k audio for the "no load" tone control.
I may bypass the tone control completely for the neck HB.
My questions are;
Would this be the correct way to go?
I have a Virtual Hot T myself and I can recommend it to anyone looking for a hotter sound from the bridge position that still sounds like a Tele. The humbucker would not be my preferred choice, though. I prefer a minihumbucker, firebird or strat style pickup. Nevertheless the Air Classic should balance well with the Virtual Hot T.
Would you change pot values?
No, they should be fine, definitely for the neck pickup. If the bridge pickup is too bright you can add a 470k resistor from the bridge pickup connection at the switch to ground, which makes the bridge pickup see a load closer to 250k.
What would be the proper tone cap to use?
The one you like best. Caps are cheap, get a few different values and experiment. Standard for a tele would be 0.047uf, for a humbucker equipped guitar normally 0.022uf but for me these values are too dark, and I end up with something like 0.0022uf to 0.0047uf.
With these pickups would an added resistor be necessary?
See above - only if the bridge pickup is too bright to you.
Would you bypass the tone on the HB?
With a 250k no load pot that is not necessary as the tone pot is disconnected from the circuit when turned up.

Cheers Stephan
Area 67, Area 58, Area 61, VV Pro 54, Injectors, VV HB2, Virtual Solo, SDS-1, Area T, Area Hot T, Area T 615, Virtual Hot T, Chopper T, Bluesbucker, Breed set, Air Norton, Super Distortion, DLX+ set, DLX-90, DP240, DP198, DP168, VPAF b, AT-1, Mo' Joe, FRED, Super 2; GS b

Offline Jimmy C

• View Profile
Re: Tele wiring help!
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2017, 11:51:47 AM »
Stephan,Thank you so very much!!!
Your input is immensely appreciated.
My concern with the "no load" pot would be when combining the two pickups.
From what i have read the VV is fairly versatile using just the tone knob.I was concerned if turning the tone down on the bridge it would in turn make the HB to muddy.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2017, 11:53:20 AM by Jimmy C »