Tone Zone S or Injector - Bridge in a strat.

• 12 Replies

Offline Gunslinger_505

• View Profile
Tone Zone S or Injector - Bridge in a strat.
« on: January 21, 2017, 01:23:43 PM »
As the title says. I just picked up a strat style guitar with the typical SSS configuration and 5 way switch.   

I play classic rock to old school medal. My original thought with this axe was an HSS using a single coil size humbucker in the bridge. Then I saw the Gilbert Injector set. Which got me thinking....  Either way I may still go with 67 middle, injector neck.

How does the Injector compare with the Tone Zone S? Or, what are the pros and cons of one vs the other for what I want to use them for? I'm open to other suggestions too.

Offline KH Guitar Freak

• View Profile
Re: Tone Zone S or Injector - Bridge in a strat.
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2017, 08:58:12 AM »
First of all, do you want to drive of a humbucker or you don't mind a bit less? Because the Tone Zone S would drive the amp harder with its output being similar to a humbucker, whereas think of the Injector as a louder single coil

Offline Gunslinger_505

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2017, 11:09:32 AM »
First of all, do you want to drive of a humbucker or you don't mind a bit less? Because the Tone Zone S would drive the amp harder with its output being similar to a humbucker, whereas think of the Injector as a louder single coil

Good question!

I'll expand on why I started looking at the Injector. I kind of stumbled across it looking for a middle that can quack and a warmer/hotter neck that still retains a strat sound. It seems that end of the Gilbert set is what I want. I have a handful of HH guitars and a modified SS jag sound great clean, but not so good dirty (which is OK). Also, I tend to like HS configuration. It seems in my HH guitars I almost always have the neck coils split (even though I hate hum). My go to guitar is an HS thinline which really rocks, you wouldn't think...

The Gilbert/Injector reviews say the bridge Injector isn't just a loud single coil, but is warmer/fatter and _almost_ humbucker-ish. This got me thinking that maybe this can rock out and also maintain the strat vibe in all positions. But I have to take review with a grain of salt. I bought a $$ boutique pups before that I liked less than a $30 overwound alnico 5 GFS pup (which is still in my thinline along with an areaT)

Of course, on the other hand the Tone Zone S would probably give me a sound and feel I'm used to. That could be good or bad as I have that sound covered. Still, I know 90% of the time I'll be rocking on Bridge pup.

With the guitar I'm looking to put these in the bridge just doesn't rock, it only seems to twang. In this configuration it wont be used a lot. I guess it comes down to finding an sc that can rock and maintain a strat vibe, or go with a business end bucker and clean end sc setup. I want my cake and eat it too!

Offline jazzfromhell

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2017, 11:54:32 AM »
You can also think of it in order of balance. Depending on which pickups you have in the neck and middle the TZS is probably a fair bit more powerful. The Injector will balance better. I personally hate it when I switch to the neck for solos and it feels like the output is cut in half.

The Chopper is a great "in-between HB and SC" pickup as its brighter than most HB's so it has a little bit of that SC sound but it has more power than your standard SC. It's the best of both worlds.

Offline Gunslinger_505

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2017, 01:22:10 PM »
You can also think of it in order of balance. Depending on which pickups you have in the neck and middle the TZS is probably a fair bit more powerful. The Injector will balance better. I personally hate it when I switch to the neck for solos and it feels like the output is cut in half.

The Chopper is a great "in-between HB and SC" pickup as its brighter than most HB's so it has a little bit of that SC sound but it has more power than your standard SC. It's the best of both worlds.

Couldn't agree more, I forgot to write that as a concern. I'm liking the Chopper idea! That seems to fit my vision for this guitar. This is the problem with pup pickers. That one never showed up no matter what I put in...

Do you think the Area 67 middle and Injector neck is still a good choice? Or would an Injector bridge be a better match in the neck position?

I know I'll get a volume drop with the 2,3, and 4 positions. However, that might be a plus because those positions I'll be mostly playing clean and lower output 67 should add some good dynamics.

Offline jazzfromhell

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2017, 02:48:23 PM »
Absolutely. The Area 67 and Injector neck will work great with the Chopper. Like you said, the volume drop in pos 2,3,4 can work to your advantage for cleaner stuff. I'd totally rock that combo, no question.

Offline teddybear

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2017, 07:04:09 AM »
Satch track,  pro track and air norton s.

Offline Octacoil

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2017, 03:48:40 PM »
As the title says. I just picked up a strat style guitar with the typical SSS configuration and 5 way switch.   

I play classic rock to old school medal. My original thought with this axe was an HSS using a single coil size humbucker in the bridge. Then I saw the Gilbert Injector set. Which got me thinking....  Either way I may still go with 67 middle, injector neck.

How does the Injector compare with the Tone Zone S? Or, what are the pros and cons of one vs the other for what I want to use them for? I'm open to other suggestions too.

I don't have a tone zone S but the injector sounds thin compared to fast track 2.
7 String: Blaze, Illuminator, IBZ
Humbucker: Breed, Evolution, Fred, Norton, PAF Joe, Humbucker from Hell, PAF Master, CrunchLab, Illuminator, Titan, Transition, Gravity Storm, Dark Matter 2.
Single: Fast Track 2, VV Heavy Blues 2, Injector, ISCV2, HS2, Cruiser
P.S. I only use Dimarzio pickups :P

Offline Gunslinger_505

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2017, 04:15:25 PM »
Satch track,  pro track and air norton s.

Nice sounding combo. What are your thoughts on the Air Norton S? How does it compare to the Tone Zone S or Chopper.

One thing I was thinking about is with a TZs or ANs I could split the coils for a more traditional strat sound with the other pups. The chopper may split too weak to play well with the other pups.

Offline Gunslinger_505

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2017, 04:16:36 PM »

I don't have a tone zone S but the injector sounds thin compared to fast track 2.

What position do you have the injector in? I would like to keep somewhat a strat sound..

Offline Octacoil

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2017, 05:26:09 PM »

What position do you have the injector in? I would like to keep somewhat a strat sound..

I had it in the bridge. Sounds very straty. More body than a regular strat pickup but still has that sharp pick attack. I didn't like it but thats just me.
Humbucker: Breed, Evolution, Fred, Norton, PAF Joe, Humbucker from Hell, PAF Master, CrunchLab, Illuminator, Titan, Transition, Gravity Storm, Dark Matter 2.

Offline Gunslinger_505

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2017, 07:26:08 PM »

I had it in the bridge. Sounds very straty. More body than a regular strat pickup but still has that sharp pick attack. I didn't like it but thats just me.

I can believe that. Is the Fast Track 2 in the bridge? What are you using neck/middle? What music do you play?

Offline Octacoil

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2017, 01:41:12 PM »

I can believe that. Is the Fast Track 2 in the bridge? What are you using neck/middle? What music do you play?

instrumental rock mostly. I have injector neck and vv heavy blues 2 in the middle and FS2 in the bridge with series/parallel sw. wired to a 5 way pickup selector, No tone control just 500K volume pot. Solid and versatile setup and I'm happy with it.

I got the idea of using vv heavy blues 2 in the middle upon hearing the sound samples from here: http://www.dimarzio.com/pickups/strat/hum-canceling-strat/virtual-vintage-heavy-blues-2