So I bought a used EBMM JP6........

• 12 Replies

Offline Timius

• View Profile
So I bought a used EBMM JP6........
« on: February 01, 2016, 06:13:42 PM »
And it didn't come with the stock Crunch Lab/Liquifire combination.  The guy said "they are PAF's".  I haven't pulled them out to check them (brand, model, etc).  But they don't have what I'm looking for under the hood.  They sound pretty good to tell you the truth, but not good enough for the guitar that feel has taken over as my number one (It beat out my faithful USA Jackson SL2H with the JB/59 combo and Les Paul Standard Premium Plus with Suhr Aldrich set). 

Their are parts I like about all 3 guitars tone.  Each sounds dramatically different then the other.

I know I need to take the pickups out to see what they are but I'm trying to find something that has good chunk on palmutes but that doesn't mean it can be a good crunch.  I do like the lead tone of my Jackson but that is WAY different wood (Alder, Maple, Ebony where the JP6 stealth is Basswood, bolt maple, rosewood). 

I play it all from 80's hair to thrash, to power metal, AIC type stuff.  I primarily play in standard E tuning, and drop D.  I play through a Hd500x into a FRFR powered speaker

Any thoughts?
« Last Edit: February 01, 2016, 06:19:59 PM by Timius »

Offline jazzfromhell

• View Profile
Re: So I bought a used EBMM JP6........
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2016, 02:00:28 AM »
Why dont you try the stock CL/LF combo, they work nicely in that guitar.

For me personally, if I wanted cover the styles you mention I'd go either with the Transition set or Tone Zone/PAF Pro. Both are crazy versatile and can handle pretty much everything and they sound great in basswood.

Offline DarthPhineas

• View Profile
    • Darth Phineas Guitar Gear Reviews
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2016, 12:32:21 PM »
The Illuminator set is a bit more open with a little more clarity, if the CL/LF isn't up your alley
Gear Reviews   |  Facebook   |   Twitter   |   Instagram

Offline Timius

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2016, 12:38:50 PM »
It's interesting since the pickups mention by Jazz and Phineas are some I've been looking at.  I will search out some videos/samples on them.

My first gut instinct was the CL/LF combo since it's stock.  Some of the new models like the transitions and illuminators are interesting as well. 

I've had the tone zone /Paf pro in an ibanezt back in late 90's and that was a sweet set up too. 

SO HARD TO PICK - back to more tone samples for me.......

Offline Timius

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2016, 11:24:12 AM »
So, I finally opened up the guitar and found out what pickups were in my JP6

It was a set of Dimarzio Virtual PAFs!

While there are some characteristic I really do like about these there are FAR from the output I am looking for with this guitar. 

They may go into my les paul as a change up though. 

Offline Timius

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2016, 01:09:13 PM »
Why dont you try the stock CL/LF combo, they work nicely in that guitar.

For me personally, if I wanted cover the styles you mention I'd go either with the Transition set or Tone Zone/PAF Pro. Both are crazy versatile and can handle pretty much everything and they sound great in basswood.

Jazz - I am really leaning towards the TZ but might try a Air Norton on the neck. 

In your experience how are the high gain sounds with the TZ?  I had one years ago and had no problem but it was a very different guitar (and through a tube works td-752 combo).  Right now I am running through a Line 6 HD500x to a FRFR powered speaker or directly to a computer.

I am torn though and intrigued by the illuminators.  Others have recommended the EVO 2/Evo set.  So many GREAT choices

Thanks!
« Last Edit: February 12, 2016, 02:01:21 PM by Timius »

Offline DarthPhineas

• View Profile
    • Darth Phineas Guitar Gear Reviews
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2016, 09:27:30 AM »

So, I finally opened up the guitar and found out what pickups were in my JP6

It was a set of Dimarzio Virtual PAFs!

While there are some characteristic I really do like about these there are FAR from the output I am looking for with this guitar. 

They may go into my les paul as a change up though.

If you like the tone, but not the output....one option could be some tweaks at the amp.
Gear Reviews   |  Facebook   |   Twitter   |   Instagram

Offline jazzfromhell

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2016, 10:47:56 AM »
Jazz - I am really leaning towards the TZ but might try a Air Norton on the neck. 

In your experience how are the high gain sounds with the TZ?  I had one years ago and had no problem but it was a very different guitar (and through a tube works td-752 combo).  Right now I am running through a Line 6 HD500x to a FRFR powered speaker or directly to a computer.

I am torn though and intrigued by the illuminators.  Others have recommended the EVO 2/Evo set.  So many GREAT choices

Thanks!

I love the distortion tone you get with a Tone Zone; its fat, punch and ballsy. Its my fave bridge pickup. I havent tried the Illuminators and the the Evo's Ive only tried in a friends guitar. Those intrigue me as well.

Offline Timius

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2016, 02:41:02 PM »
i pulled the trigger and I ordered........

Bridge - Tone Zone
Neck - Air Norton

After listening to a million samples and reading a million reviews I feel good!

Offline jazzfromhell

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2016, 02:18:21 AM »
Cool, that could work.
The AN is way too dark for me but maybe it balances well with the TZ.
Let us know your findings :)

Offline darkbluemurder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2016, 03:55:16 AM »
I had the exact same combination on my Brian Moore at some time. They balanced with each other pretty well and also put some beef into a very bright guitar.

Cheers Stephan
Area 67, Area 58, Area 61, VV Pro 54, Injectors, VV HB2, Virtual Solo, SDS-1, Area T, Area Hot T, Area T 615, Virtual Hot T, Chopper T, Bluesbucker, Breed set, Air Norton, Super Distortion, DLX+ set, DLX-90, DP240, DP198, DP168, VPAF b, AT-1, Mo' Joe, FRED, Super 2; GS b

Offline Timius

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2016, 11:34:13 AM »
Cool, that could work.
The AN is way too dark for me but maybe it balances well with the TZ.
Let us know your findings :)

I figure I can always swap out for a PAF pro if this doesn't work out.  With the trem, basswood body and stainless steel frets I wanted to start "dark" and can move to brighter as needed.

Offline Timius

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2016, 12:04:07 PM »
Wanted to update on the pickups

I've had the TZ/AN combo in for a bit.  Fiddled with the height and got it to a spot where it sounds good.   I have to agree with the people who recommend working your amp/eq.  That had far more impact on tight/loose feel with the pickup.  All it took was literally turning up the high EQ.