Murky sounding but great playing basswood squire

• 11 Replies

Offline damonstewart70

• View Profile
Murky sounding but great playing basswood squire
« on: November 26, 2016, 07:23:47 PM »
Hey guys,I need the forums help!!! The guitar is a basswood squire but plays great.The stock pickups duck of course,I'd like more brilliance,tight bottom & dramatic edge on the neck when picked hard(ala Paul Gilbert).The bridge I'd like to have single coil character but be him free.The guitar has a maple neck & rosewood fretboard with vintage 6 screw bridge...I'll even change the pots to 500 K.The music playing will be neoclassical & hard Rock.The area 67 seemed good or the injector series...any help would be appreciated...BTW amp is a 5150+ & various solid states(fractal).

Offline daenius

• View Profile
Re: Murky sounding but great playing basswood squire
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2016, 05:13:49 PM »
If you would like to stay with SSS and you love PG I don't see why you wouldn't want the Injectors!

But I think Squier bodies are routed to just be a giant rectangular hole in the middle, which means you can technically do SSH or HSH! The PAF Master set could be great for you too?

Offline damonstewart70

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2016, 10:56:31 PM »
Thanks!!! Will the injectors add brilliance & presence to them??? Definitely gonna keep the sss route cause I'm just loving single coils nowadays,do you have experience with injectors???

Offline greekdude

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2016, 01:26:23 AM »
No experience but they are used by Gilbert, so ....  :madness:

Offline darkbluemurder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2016, 03:47:27 AM »
do you have experience with injectors???

Only with the neck model, and in the neck and middle spots. They have enough single coil character to me (I used 500k pots with them).

Cheers Stephan
Area 67, Area 58, Area 61, VV Pro 54, Injectors, VV HB2, Virtual Solo, SDS-1, Area T, Area Hot T, Area T 615, Virtual Hot T, Chopper T, Bluesbucker, Breed set, Air Norton, Super Distortion, DLX+ set, DLX-90, DP240, DP198, DP168, VPAF b, AT-1, Mo' Joe, FRED, Super 2; GS b

Offline damonstewart70

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2016, 04:08:40 AM »
Thanks guys I really appreciate the help now it's metronome time  8)

Offline jazzfromhell

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2016, 05:56:54 AM »
I have the Injector neck too. Go for it, you won't be dissappointed.

Offline damonstewart70

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2016, 10:19:37 PM »
Man you guys got me salivating!!! :madness: yeah INJECTORS IT WILL BE!!!

Offline greenlion

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2016, 12:39:15 PM »
First, make sure your guitar is worth upgrading. I don't know which Squier models are basswood, but I think most of the Standards are Agathis, which is similar to Alder. Second, make SURE your pot values are a good match for the pickups. Low pot values can deaden a great humbucker, and high pot values can turn a warm single coil into an ice pick. After all that, the injector and Area pickups are both great.

Offline Vinnie1971

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2016, 08:42:37 PM »
I got a Squier standard strat. I put fender tex mex pickups in and they round great with 500k pots. Bright with plenty of upper mids and tight basses for single coils they sound pretty full. They are slightly hotter than vintage wind. I like them a lot.
Mind you I like the Squier standard bridge pickup as a middle pickup in my HSH partscaster with oil city pickups. I chose the bridge as for polarity reasons and it being higher output than the neck, it's sounds pretty good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline KH Guitar Freak

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2016, 12:38:33 AM »
First, make sure your guitar is worth upgrading. I don't know which Squier models are basswood, but I think most of the Standards are Agathis, which is similar to Alder. Second, make SURE your pot values are a good match for the pickups. Low pot values can deaden a great humbucker, and high pot values can turn a warm single coil into an ice pick. After all that, the injector and Area pickups are both great.

Actually, agathis is similar to mahogany. As for "worth upgrading", that really depends on the owner. However, the recent Squiers are really good bang for buck, and upgrading all the hardware yields a guitar that's quite comparable to an American Standard equivalent

Offline damonstewart70

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2016, 04:33:25 AM »
All you guys help is great,it is basswood.Personally I get off on having "budget" looking guitars that APPEAR to be crappy but play & sound awesome.My favorite guitars are FENDER STANDARD STRATS,but I buy guitars now mostly for the vibe,comfort & inspiration it gives me when playing.This forum is a wealth of info thanks